Close

Thread: motor mounts

Default motor mounts

I'm installing the engine in my 85Gt. I have already purchased new motor mounts from lmr and the passenger side goes in easily but not so on the drives side which seems to be about an 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to short width ways. I'm positive that the mounts are on the correct side. The engine block is a 91. I looked on this forum for information, which seems to suggest that LMR maybe selling the newer convertible mounts.....I also have a pair of the ford type mounts that I can use.......I really don't want to elongate the holes in the front suspension cradle....any thoughts and or suggestions would be appreciated......(this is a 5 speed car if that makes any difference) ...Thanks

I looked at the "heavy duty" LMR mounts on their site, and they look like regular mounts top and bottom, but with what I believe are the "convertible" centers, basically the rubber portions... Short, width ways? If you mean side-to-side in the car, the engine bay, you could try loosening the four block bracket bolts (there's a bit of leeway with the clearance holes for the block bolts) and pulling the mounts both outward as much as they'll go. I just went through dropping the engine into my '86 a bit ago (with regular mounts out of an '84), and can say with certainty that the driver's side requires the small stud to be straight down from the threaded stud and the passenger side gets the mount with the small stud rearward of the threaded stud... and that the passenger side will always very easily fall right into place, but that it's much more important to wrestle with the engine/trans angle/whatnot and to get the driver's side studs lined up and in there first, because it's small plain stud, that's directly below the threaded stud, goes into a pretty precision round hole in the k-member, whereas the passenger side mount's stud, that is rearward of it's threaded stud, only has to sit somewhere down into a pretty large square opening in the k-member.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

I had the same problems you with my motor mounts I bought from rock auto. I was installing them on a 91 302 and passenger side fit fine but there was no way I was getting it mounted on drivers side. All those cheap mounts are made by same place so I'm not surprised you have the same problem. After some research I ditched them and ordered the energy suspension ones that came with trans mount from summit. Bolted right up. More expensive but IMO worth it. Should of bought those from start.
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 08-11-2019 at 10:42 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Here is a link to the thread where I had same problem
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...not-lining-up)
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Thanks for the information, it was very helpful.......I'm going to recheck everything on the mounts and engine and see if there is anything I missed.....If everything checks out, then I'll go to plan B which is to install a unused pair of factory mounts I had forgotten that I had and return the LMR mounts.....I'm suprised that LMR sells something that doesn't fit very well..........live and learn!...Thanks for the help.....