Close

Default muffler choices.

I have lmr special x pipe and american thunder kit.
    But 2000-2200 the drone is mind numbing, so I am trying to figure out the best way to eliminate it,
    different mufflers, add resonators?
    I still want it aggressive with the least amount of drone
    so what combos have people used?

Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Wow! that is interesting, learned something today.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Ya, that quite a thread good info. I couldn’t see any of the pics though do you need to be logged in to see them

I'd like to see pic of that set up too. Does anyone here have examples of what they discuss in the other forum? The posting is old so the pics were probably pulled long ago. I too get annoying drone at 2000 rpm and most cruising speeds. Wifey hates being in my car because of it.

I have a dual exhaust converted from single. I have stock shorty headers from an 87, a stock H pipe with 4 cats, 2 front cats hollowed out, rear cats function with secondary air system, a pair of MagnaFlow high performance mufflers.

Just sign up for the Corral. It takes 2 minutes. Then you will be able to see the photos in the thread.
    Jack Hidley

This has been talked about a few times here.

vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?188284-Anyone-experimented-with-1-4-wave-resonator-J-pipe-on-their-exhaust

There's another thread linked in that one too. I've been thinking about this too since I'd like quieter exhaust myself. I wonder if inline resonators would work as well as this seems to. That's what I was thinking I'd do (inline), but maybe not if if this (J-pipe) is that much more effective.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

An inline resonator will be much more complicated to design for a given application. I wouldn't even try without the correct acoustics measuring devices.
    Jack Hidley

Oh, I would just buy some and slap 'em in, no designing here

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I have been using the expanded metal mesh (for concrete) rolled into a tube and shove in the tail pipes of mine for years now. Not absolutely perfect but significantly reduced the drone and cost almost nothing.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Yeah, it's pretty interesting that that works as well as it does.

These are the inline resonators I am referring to.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1792

If the cats don't cut the volume enough, I'd be looking to quiet things down in general. When I found the linked resonators, I didn't know about the J-pipe thing. It's certainly interesting to think you can eliminate the drone, but maybe keep more of your volume. The drone is definitely the most unpleasant part of having a loud car... But then you have the issue of engineering the j-pipe yourself. Not something I'm all that interested in attempting.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST