Close

Default correct way to wire a VOLT gauge

A few years back when i refurbished my cluster I had a guy gut the AMP gauge and replace the guts with a VOLT gauge. I even got a decal coverlay that says Volt so it looks stock.

the instructions that came with the gauge said to wire it to a keyed on 12 volt source in the dash. What I see when i drive is the volt gauge needle drops everytime I power something up. Stereo, AC, directional etc. So the gauge is showing me voltage usage in the dashboard rather than a direct real time status of my alternator charging my battery.

Theoretically if I ran a wire to the battery from the volt gauge it would show battery voltage but it would also continue to run with the key off so I cant do that. but i was wondering if I ran the volt gauge's power run to the alternators stator plug would that give me a actual charging voltage? I know the stator is key on source because the electric choke is run to it. But will the stator show how many volts I'm charging at?

If not, how can I wire this up to get a direct voltage reading from the alternator to the volt gauge? In later model cars that came with volt gauge factory issued the volt gauge doesnt dance when more things are powered up in the dash. my 96 Yukon has stock volt gauge. How was that wired up from the factory?

I've never hooked up an aftermarket volt gauge, so I'm not exactly sure about how it's supposed to be done. But it seems like you could hook it up through a relay and that would work for what you are wanting to do. Basically, the only difference you have in reading voltage through the dash wiring is the fact that the wiring is smaller gauge. You could hook straight to the battery (or to the starter relay) and you may get a better reading. But like you said, it would be working when the ignition is off. To get around that, wire it through a relay. Switched 12v will activate the relay, which is wired directly to the battery via a heavier wire.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4