Close

Default engine storage prime or not

My new engine is complete and been home awhile. Been working on all the suspension mods and hording parts for the car build out. Rear axle and tranny are next.

Question: Should I add oil and prime the motor so some oil is circulated through out as it is going to sit for a good 6 months until I'm even close to installing the drive line. I have the motor bagged and on an engine stand in a climate controlled shop with moisture bags setting in the lifter valley. I was thinking to prime it with my break in oil I will run for its first start up at the dyno shop just to prevent any rusting or parts setting dry.

Please advise best practice.

Should be fine for that short of a storage span.
    Keeping engine clean and fresh protected from environmental damage is key. Open holes can be taped over.
    I worked in a whse that GM stored end-of-build Northstar engines as service engines. Couple hundred final build.
    They were bagged, with 1#? large bags of desiccant placed inside the clear engine bag. Stored in their special shipping racks.
    Could prime it with oil. I doubt GM did any special oiling other than what oil was used in buildup.
    Possible they were turned over a bit for torque testing.

The 1990's building was climate controlled. Heated in winter. Doors were supposed to be closed in summer.
    Company got cheap and cut off the a/c, so the dock doors were open except when raining hard.

Production and service, short and long block engines, were unwrapped in racks but really did not sit long on the floor due to FIFO.
    The service engines had plastic plugs, valley covers, to seal them up a bit during storage.

I put mine in the plastic bag plus drier bags. Then placed it in a large storage tote until build up. Was sprayed with wd40 like oil.
    Every time i added parts, rebagged engine until engine was pretty much fully dressed.

If its all packaged up, just leave it alone. Prime it just before startup to ensure the oil passages are full and everything is lubed for the first firing.