Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Quick Question - Headlight installation

Hi all,

Wondering if someone could help with the installation of the headlight buckets. I dissasembled all my headlights including the buckets because my lights could not be aligned anymore because all the hardware was either rusty or the adjusters were old and brittle.

I bought this installation kit from Matt at Fox Resto,

My question is regarding the tension spring, can someone tell me which side of the spring goes toward the headlight header panel and which side of the spring goes on the headlight bucket? I also want to confirm the correct location where the spring attaches to the bucket. I understand it goes on the indentation on the bottom corner, rather than on the corner, is this right?

HereŽs a pic with the spring, please help me out figure which end goes where!

thanks a lot!

Name:  IMG_2486.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  110.9 KB

The long end of the spring with the smaller curve goes on the header panel. The Big end with the larger curve goes on the headlight bucket itself.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Thanks a lot! As always you are of great help!

Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    Thanks a lot! As always you are of great help!
    Sure thing! Oh and in my experience the best way to install the buckets is to install the spring on the header panel, then clip the bucket, then insert the adjusting screws into the bucket. Finally thread the adjusting screws into the plastic clips (not inserted into the header panel yet). Then slowly run the screw into the clip and align it with the opening in the header panel and clip in place. Its a bit hard to describe, but doing it the way above helps prevent the spring from coming off or breaking during the install. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Sure thing! Oh and in my experience the best way to install the buckets is to install the spring on the header panel, then clip the bucket, then insert the adjusting screws into the bucket. Finally thread the adjusting screws into the plastic clips (not inserted into the header panel yet). Then slowly run the screw into the clip and align it with the opening in the header panel and clip in place. Its a bit hard to describe, but doing it the way above helps prevent the spring from coming off or breaking during the install. Good Luck!
    I will surely follow your advice on the installation steps, as that is also one of my concerns. Your steps make all the sense, since the new spring is going to be strong. You think its better to install the top aligning screw and then the lateral one, of course after the spring is in place?

I will take some pics when I install them, might be a good idea to have some sort of visual aid for future reference! I found tons on "how to" videos on installing Aero Headlamps, but pretty much none on how remove and install Four Eye headlights!

FEP Senior Member

I just replaced my 4-eye headlights, and it's on YouTube (my signature). I did the springs first, then the lateral screw, and lastly the top (vertical) screw. I have original parts, and modified my buckets, so my way may only apply to my car. I have a video on alignment also if you need anything.