Close

Default Overspray.....BAD overspray

So, I used to work in a shipyard and when painting was going on the overspray from the ships would float on the wind and attach itself to whatever it landed on. So, the daily driver (not my 86 Convertible fortunately) was on the receiving end of this deposit....in a BAD way. It is so bad that it looks like the entire truck is dusty. My question is....how in the bloody heck to I get that stuff off without destroying my original paint job? I have already tied caranuba wax....just shined up the overspray.

Will the specks come off if you scrape it with a fingernail? If so, you could try using a clay bar.
    1985 GT owned since new

I was thinking clay bar also. If not that, need more "mechanical" measures. Good luck, I'm sure that ship paint is strong stuff.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I work with this type of paint, being in the maritime industry. We use epoxy (2-part) and single part oil based paints. Both types set up rock hard and can be pretty much impossible to remove. The epoxy type can barely be removed with needle guns and deck crawlers. I couldn't imagine trying to do it with wet sanding, clay bars, etc. As heavy duty as this stuff is, it will not shine up very well and dulls quickly to a flat look. Semi-gloss is about as good as it gets and even that shine doesn't last long in the marine industry.

Having said that, since your car wasn't hit directly with it, it may have dried enough before landing on your car that it didn't bond as well as it could have. I would suggest trying a clay bar. If that doesn't work, some wet rubbing compound, which will probably need to be followed up with some polishing compound or a proper cut and buff.

You can probably remove from glass and chrome using a clean/new single edge razor blade. NOT dry... use some soapy water or glass cleaner and keep it wet.

If it's a nice car with a nice paint job and it appears some rubbing compound will remove it, then I would seriously consider having a pro do the entire car. An experienced detailer or paint correction guy can mean the difference between "better than before " and "saving for a new paint job".
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

FEP Member

Keeping the vehicle waxed would make removal of overspray easier. Too late for OP, unfortunately. I have heard that the silicone in things like ArmorAll will creep under some adhesives over time. Not good for the paint job, though.

I had a summer job doing this at a car dealership. A bunch of the used cars were coated in Epoxy overspray from an above ground fuel tank repaint. I tried many different ways to remove it but the best was a sharp single edge razor and something to keep it lubricated (wisk and water, soap, etc). Once you get the pressure and the angle right you can really move fast. I had to rub out every car afterwards but it still saved me a ton of time.

Don't try a heavy compound and a machine, you will wipe out the paint faster than the dots disappear.

Good luck.