Close

Unhappy Car stalled out in traffic in the 100+ degree California heat

I drove the Capri to my office last Friday. Friday in LA is usually light traffic and the only day of the week I would even attempt to drive my RS to work. The car was running killer! I left my office a little early to get a jump on the traffic and took a back road which is normally very light traffic that time of day. Was going great and then, just my luck there was road work going on with a lane shut down in both directions and got trapped in bumper to bumped traffic. Car got up to around 210 degrees (normally runs between 190-200) and it still seemed to be running fine. I was watching the temperature gauge like a hawk making sure it didn't get any hotter. After about 10 minutes of stop and go I noticed it starting to miss fire a little and while I was trying to get to the side of the road to let it cool down a bit, it stalled out in the lane and would not re-start. It would turn over and try to start but would not stay running. Luckily someone helped me push it out of traffic. Seeing as it was not boiling over and the gauge never went over 210 degrees, I am assuming the motor was having ignition issues (maybe coil?) because after it sat for around 10 minutes or so, it started right up. Needless to say I called AAA and decided to have them tow it home because I didn't want to take any chances with the traffic as bad as it was in the heat. Car ran fine when I got it home to pull it into the garage.

Anyone else have any input on some potential problems this might be and is 210 degrees too hot?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,
    Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

I believe your Capri is carbureted. I personally would look at fuel vapor lock as a potential issue. I used to have that problem quite often in TX with my 1984 Trans Am that was not exactly stock. The T/A actually had the same issue when it was stock and it continued even after intake, carb, camshaft, header change. It all had to do with the metal fuel line routing. First determined it was the issue by using wooden clothes pins attached to the fuel line to help dissipate the heat. That helped, but didn't solve it entirely, so then we tried insulating the fuel line. Again that improved the situation, but still occasionally had an issue. Finally rerouted the fuel line further away from the engine block, insulated the fuel line, and used a phenolic spacer under the carburetor to prevent any fuel boiling in the bowels. That finally solved the issue completely and I didn't have any of those fun dying in the middle of the lane and pushing it to the side of the road issues. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yep vapour lock, another reason why the "good old days" sucked.

Well that sucks, thats why im so afraid to take out my Falcon in the heat....... yep it sounds like the ole vapor lock. But im glad to hear that you took out the Capri
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Keeping it full of gas and avoiding ethanol blends helps

premium boils to vapor at a higher temp than 87 octane

Recirculating is used in the fuel system so more fuel to circulate keeps it cool longer

stop to get gas after work at a station with underground tanks. 50 degree fuel will help a ton

Had the same problem with my 83 trans am. Would run awesome and as soon as it warmed up or got to hot it would miss fire then stall. Would turn over fine but would not start. After taking it to about 3 different shops one finally figured out that the fuel line routing was causing it. Rerouted it and it was fine.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Thanks for the replies, I will need to look into the fuel line thing, I haven't looked at the fuel line routing in a while. It could be riding close to the exhaust somewhere. I still have all the stock solid fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump inlet. From the fuel pump outlet it is all new Russell braided hose and a Earl's performance duel feed line to the carb. The car when it stalled had 3/4 of a tank and I always use premium fuel because of the high compression ratio. Nobody thinks it could be a bad coil? I thought an overheating coil that is failing could cause similar symptoms when it gets too hot?

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action