Close

Default 1980 mustang auto to manual conversion problem

Hey everyone. I have a 1980 mustang original 2.3 3spd automatic. I removed the automatic pedal box today and installed the manual pedal box. Now when I go to press the clutch the quadrant jams into a bracket that's part of the body. I believe the pedal box I used is off an 87-93... did I do something wrong? Has anyone else had this issue? Or is it something different about a 79-82? Name:  VideoCapture_20190805-200538.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  85.9 KB

The 79-81 cars didn't use the clutch quadrant setup. That is 82-93. It's been awhile since I did the conversion on my 79 PC, but I do think I had to modify the area around the pedal box for clearance. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly as it has been several years since I did the swap.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

As Trey said, the quadrant is correct for later cars. I found the same problem when I added 82-93 pedals (with quadrant) to my '80 that was a manual. I just swapped the set-up to match the wiring and other parts I had. You have to bend the bracket out of the way from the quadrant. I used a prybar to bend it away from the quadrant. if you plan to add a firewall adjuster with a metal quadrant (vs. the OEM plastic), I'd do it now. It's a PITA to try and take it off later. Another "I found out the hard way" moment.