Close

Default Maximum Motorsports bushing removal tool stuck!

I used my MM bushing install/removal tool tonight. It worked great on the passenger side of the rear end, but doesn't seem to work at all on the driver side.

The "cup" portion had a slight notch that they ground down to make room for the drive side eyelet, but it wasn't near enough. I had ab out 7 rounds of grinding down just to get it to fit and allow the bushing to enter unimpeded. I literally had to grind so far down that i made a small hole in the cup.

I got the bushing about half way in and realized the space was still so tight that now the bushing in the cup would not allow the cup to come off...so I'm stuck.

WTF? I watched several videos and no one seemed to have this problem.

My questions are:

1. Why should this rear end be any different from the videos I saw of other Mustangs? I bought it from someone who said it came off an 86 GT.
    2. How the hell am I going to remove the tool now? A hammer and screwdriver wasn't working to back the bushing back out.
    3. When I get it out, How am I going to get it on properly with that little of clearance...it seems like the bushing tools you rent wouold be even less forgiving of a tight space.

So frustrated.

Name:  Screen-Shot_cr.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  136.6 KBName:  IMG_8578_cr.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  234.3 KBName:  IMG_8576_cr.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  79.5 KB

I did that job a few years ago, and your issue does seem familiar. If nothing else, at least it doesn't matter too much if you destroy the tool.

Air hammer it off?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Props to Maximum Motorsports who responded within hours and over the weekend.

The quick and dirty is that some of those older 8.8s had terrible clearance on the one side. I am one of the lucky one/year customers who contact them with this problem.

They gave a bunch of helpful advice to both remove and hopefully reinstall using an even more ground down tool (hope it holds with a huge part of the side ground off).

If that doesn't work, they mentioned either using the cup or and appropriately sized socket and hammer to install...makes me nervous as hell to break the eyelet with this method, so hope it doesn't come to that.

I doubt that it will. The install tool may "never be the same", but I think it will do the job.

As for MM's tech help, aren't they awesome?! I once spent 2 hours on the phone with Jack Hidley talking about sorting out my suspension. What a great guy! Awesome, awesome company. I can't say enough about them.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Good to know. I too had a clearance issue on my 86. I was able to make it work though with some creative grinding. I was happy with the tool.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I just wanted to post that I spent somewhere near $1,200 (just on parts) for MM bushings for my IRS Terminator and they are 100% legit. I realize that has nothing to do with the post but I just don't want people to think there is something wrong with Maximum parts. They are HIGH quality parts made in an age where most are Chinese junk. I understand the OP did not say they were junk and he was thankful for good customer service. I just want to reiterate that. One day we will miss good service like they provide.

I'm old school. heat the bushing shell to release the rubber bond, root it out with a screwdriver, cut the shell, fold it in a bit and it falls out. I think, used to be, you could just buy bushings that slipped into the original shells but, I don't know any more.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedblind View Post
    I'm old school. heat the bushing shell to release the rubber bond, root it out with a screwdriver, cut the shell, fold it in a bit and it falls out. I think, used to be, you could just buy bushings that slipped into the original shells but, I don't know any more.
    Those are new bushings he is installing. The tool is stuck after partial installation. These are OEM style rubber bushings sold as an integrated piece. I just did these on my stock 7.5 and things were tight, but worked as intended.
    1985 GT owned since new