Close

Default Which bracket is correct?

I'm missing the support bracket for the OEM push button Premium Sound radio in my 84 RS Turbo. I've come across these two different ones on eBay and was wondering which is correct or most correct for this set up. I have one like the longer bracket pictured, but it's from a different year car.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

FEP Power Member

I have been looking for 1 too. I have seen two types. B and C ? Numbers. I believe the top one pictured is correct. I looked it up in the parts book too and was not sure.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

The second bracket looks like the rear radio support bracket from an 85/86 car. I have one at home. I will check after work to make sure.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

I was thinking the first one as well.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

I checked the bracket I have at home, which I bought off Ebay and was advertised as being from an 85 Mustang. Looks similar to the bracket in the second picture, however, it is different.

I checked on Ebay, and the bracket in the second picture is from an auction which shows the engineering number printed on the part as D9ZF 18888-AA. The auction says it is for 79-82 Mustangs. My Ford part number book shows the part number for 80/81 Mustangs as D8BZ 18888-C for mono radios and D8BZ 18888-B for stereo radios. For 82-84 Mustangs it says the part number is D9ZZ 18888-A for mono radios and E2DZ 18888-A for stereo radios.

The cars which use the bracket with the part number E3ZZ 18888-B (the bracket in the first picture) is 83/84 LTD/Marquis, 83/84 Thunderbird/Cougar and the 84 Tempo/Topaz. Interesting that a part number with the E3ZZ prefix doesn't show an application in a Mustang.

Name:  Mustang Radio Bracket.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  65.9 KB

Remember that an engineering number (usually the part number stamped on the part) will not be the same as the part number (part number on the label or box).

So I guess the real question is, is the bracket in the first picture actually from a Mustang? That's the problem with Ebay auctions. Sellers auction these parts and think that since the part number has a "ZZ" in it, they instantly think it's from a Mustang and they have gold in their hands. They don't do their homework though, and sometimes, even though the part does have a "ZZ" in it, it's not always from a Mustang. Then an unsuspecting buyer buys it and finds out it won't work on the Mustang or Capri, and they're stuck with a useless part.

The only way to know that it will work on a Mustang is for someone else with an 83/84 car to chime in and say yay or nay, or buy it and see if it will work for your car. If you want to buy the bracket in the first picture and try it, here is a cheaper one from an actual Ford dealership...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/E3ZZ18888B-...IAAOSw8lpZNp4j
    Last edited by tbirdman; 08-04-2019 at 03:28 PM.

85 Mustang GT

So the first one is likely NOT the correct one?

I have one like the bottom pic already from an 85-6 I think. I'll have to see if it fits an 84.

Next question- the first one looks to clip onto a console tab? Does the second one bolt on? Neither of my cars 84 and 86 ever had an original stereo, so I don't know the arrangement.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

According to the parts listing, no, the one in the first picture is not correct. That is according to the parts list, however. Whether or not it will work or not I have no idea. You would have to see what the bracket looks like from an actual 84 car to see if the one you have will work with or without modifications. If the bracket you have is from an 85, then my guess again would be no, that it wouldn't work. But who knows? I guess it would if it could be modified to work.

Here is the rear bracket from an 85...

Name:  Bracket.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  49.2 KB

Ford modified the radio mounting from 84 to 85. Up to 84, the dashes had a radio mounting hole in the dash with two holes on either side that the posts stuck through. There was no front mounting bracket (that I know of), only a rear mounting bracket. In 85, the radio hole in the dash was just a single rectangular opening. There were two brackets on the side of the radio that mounted into the dash itself, and a rear mounting bracket the mounted to the dash frame.

85 Mustang GT

My next question is: What did the support bracket attach to-the console? Something else? I've never seen an unmolested set up to know what's what. My 86 had an aftermarket deck and my 84 RST dash was completely trashed by the ass wipe that helped himself to whatever was in it at the time. I got an 84 dash from Kendal awhile back and I'm (trying to) gather all the correct components. Almost there, just trying to figure the correct installation now.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

From my memory, the slotted hole in the bracket attaches to the back of the stereo and the hole on the right in the picture points towards the back of the car and will sit on the metal reinforcement brace at the bottom of the dash There should be a matching hole @ in the center that allows a sheet metal screw to anchor the bracket to the dash from underneath. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks. I was hoping it was simple like that. It’s all out of the car, so I didn’t have a good visual to lay it out.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)