Close

Default Broken aod tv kickdown stud

I'm just finishing up converting my 85 gt to carb and ran into a problem on the transmission side of things. While installing the lokar kickdown kit the stud coming out of the transmission for the tv kickdown bracket broke, s**t. How big of an uh-oh was this? I have not taken the pan off yet to see how big of a job this is to fix. I'll be heading to the junkyard tomorrow to see if I can find what i need to replace it. Can anyone tell me how much disassembling has to be done to fix this and what cars this can be sourced from? I doubt I'll find one from a mustang, but they should have plenty aod equipped trucks and panther platform cars. Name:  20190801_202759.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  49.6 KB

wow. ouch. i have no idea, but i feel for you.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I had to do this exact repair 15-20 years ago on an AOD from a Mustang we put into a Truck. I had to swap due to how the kick down linkage was. I remember it being a bit of a PITA, but not impossible. I believe you have to drop the valve body to gain access. Then you need to be very careful to make sure the arm inside stays aligned with the other parts and pieces as you remove and install the replacement. Yours should be a bit easier since you are replacing and not swapping a different style. Either way not a fun job, but I believe it took a couple hours or more, but that was about it. Sorry I don't remember more, but its been a few years.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller