Close

Default 85.5 SVO fuel leak saga

Hi guys, my fuel leak saga continues. Leak has been occurring near the # 2 / 3 intake valley. Re / re the injectors (all new o-rings and pintle caps, 3 injectors tested and service, 1 replaced with rebuilt unit) and new fuel pressure reg. Install went smooth, no leaks upon initial start up and road test. Car ran great (had 1 bad injector originally, now all 4 are 100%). Drove the car to work last night, got home, could smell fuel again. Popped hood, noticed fuel at the #2 / 3 intake valley again. Could the rail have a crack? Did not disconnect the 2 plastic fuel line connectors when the re / re was done. Could the leak be happening at the fuel line connections and making it's way down the rail? Will investigate further this weekend, but may be in need of a used / new rail and or fuel line o-rings (if they are even used there)..Your thoughts / advice greatly appreciated

Name:  20190720_111310.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  70.4 KB
    Last edited by wraithracing; 07-31-2019 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Text color

duped
    Last edited by powered by turbo; 07-31-2019 at 07:08 PM.

I had this exact problem, uh, about 20 years ago if I recall. It was the fuel pulse dampener on my Turbo Coupe. I think the rail design there was slightly different with the dampener on the rail, so in your case maybe it is coming from the regulator?

FEP Senior Member

Best to pressurize the system and start feeling around. Could be a number of possible things. Let us know what you find.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Will check the pulse dampener as well, though did look dry there earlier. I have noticed some residue at the fuel line connections though, so will start there...Luckily this engine is fairly simple to work with, especially in that particular area Will update this weekend (hopefully)!...

Default Anyone make a leak compass?

If none, do have a fire bottle and any other suppression method at hand or in car.
    Dont need a car fire on the road or anywhere. A small leak could turn major quickly.

Sort of a related leak i found. The mystery source.
    Was finding a little wetness, then a tiny puddle, of coolant on ft coil pack, dual plug 2.3.
    Finally detected a tiny tiny stream coming from a pinhole leak in the nearby rusty t-stat housing.
    Leak was 6" away from puddle. Almost invisible stream across mid-air to the coil pack.
    Only with engine running and coolant pressure flow when t-stat opened.
    Think i used a piece of paper and a bright light or something to find the direction of leak that was forming the puddle.
    Then wrapped leak area tight with shop rag to confirm. This contained the leak and got the rag wet, coil stayed dry.

Other tiny water leak was in house. Pinhole again. Traveled 3' to low point of pipe (plastic).

Residue, clean spots from fuel wash, could be clues.
    30+ year old aged parts fail. Hoses, connectors, metal.

Looks like the leak(s) are coming from injector #2 and #3, at the base where they go into the intake manifold. #2 was replaced with an Autoline remanned unit and #3 was part of the original set that I had tested and serviced. Install went smoothly (all o-rings and pintle caps were new), manifold-to-injector holes were cleaned and oiled before installation, so I assume that part is fine. Just ordered a new set of 4 Standard FJ20's from Rockauto now. I think / hope this will fix the problem. Anyone else used these injectors before?

Thanks again!

Haven't used those injectors but curious to hear how they work out for you.

Hi rodster,

Installed these injectors last week and they are working great. They are a newer design compared to the originals, but fitment is normal. I'm assuming they are equal to the 35lb originals that came out (engine runs better and seems to make the same / more power than before). Sure enough, the #2 Autoline remanned injector that I reluctantly installed, was leaking at the body....

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    Haven't used those injectors but curious to hear how they work out for you.

Great information and glad you found the source of your leak.

I'll keep this in mind if/when I need new injectors for my 84.