Close

Question Vibration while Driving

I just pulled my '84 out of a 3 year storage and I'm still facing a problem I've had for a long time. While driving, I keep getting an oscillating vibration through the steering wheel. I've changed all 4 wheels, all new tires, new rear axle shafts, new drums, and new rotors. No change at all in the vibration. Since I'm running out of things to try, could this possibly be an issue with the driveshaft?
    John
    2017 Convertible 6-Speed
    1984 GT 5.0 T-Roof
    1965 Coupe 4-Speed
    1964-1/2 Coupe C4-Auto
    MCA National Certified Judge 1964-1966 and 1979-1993

Cool

Drive shaft to axle check time. Or universal cross joint on drive shaft.

The four 13 mm bolts to the axle pinion shaft..

Unseat them and retorque to spec.

Replacement ones for the Ford Explorer came with a sealant to keep them fastened.

Untill you' ve blown a trans prop shaft onto the road and lived you aint experienced. Drive shaft had been removed and the servicing guys got diverted from there tasks by the engine stalling on the ramp while they tried to reverse it up. It gave cyclic spazims on tge road at 40 to 50 mph while accelerating, and then one day, boomb....bits on the highway....

Driveshaft and rear wheel/axle vibrations tend to show up more as a seat vibration. Front end problems can be felt more in the steering wheel. Driveshaft balance issues also are a higher "pitch". Less of a wobble and more of a high frequency vibration.

If you feel like it is a driveshaft problem, then a good driveline shop can balance it and check/replace u-joints. I dropped one off a while back and the shop balanced and installed high quality u-joints. Only cost $100 and it's been perfect ever since.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I just overhauled my 85 suspension and assuming your bushings have not been replaced, 35 year old rubber has probably shrunk/cracked/embrittled severly by now.

Have you looked at:

steering rag joint
    steering rack mount bushings
    tie rod ends
    ball joints
    strut bushings
    1985 GT owned since new

I called a driveshaft shop and I can take that over to be rebuilt and balanced.
    As far as the front susppension. I replaced 1 lower control arm with new bushings and balljoint. Have not touched the other side yet because that balljoint is still good. I did replace 1 inner tie rod and the sway bar bushings and end links. Have not touched anything else in the front end yet. Car has about 82,000 mile on it now. I did just place an order for a new Lares 103 steering coupler (rag joint).
    John
    2017 Convertible 6-Speed
    1984 GT 5.0 T-Roof
    1965 Coupe 4-Speed
    1964-1/2 Coupe C4-Auto

Make sure that the steering column nuts are tight. The steering column itself has a resonant frequency, so if the bolts are loose, it will vibrate.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    Make sure that the steering column nuts are tight. The steering column itself has a resonant frequency, so if the bolts are loose, it will vibrate.
    Hmmm, I never even thought of checking that!
    John
    2017 Convertible 6-Speed
    1984 GT 5.0 T-Roof
    1965 Coupe 4-Speed
    1964-1/2 Coupe C4-Auto