Close

Default 79 with 90 block,, which starter?

My pace car has a roller block and I need a starter. Wanted to have one before I pulled the old one. Which starter do I need?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure I purchased a starter to match the one on my 88gt and it worked fine. I actually had an old one and tried it before purchasing a new one. My pace car is a 302 (331 stroker) with t5....157 tooth flywheel and 10.5" clutch.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I'm pretty sure I purchased a starter to match the one on my 88gt and it worked fine. I actually had an old one and tried it before purchasing a new one. My pace car is a 302 (331 stroker) with t5....157 tooth flywheel and 10.5" clutch.
    That sounds just like my combo. Except its stock stroke and bore.

A MOTORCRAFT SA734BRM shows to fit 64-91 Mustangs according to Rock Auto. For the 79 models there are generally two different starters depending on automatic or manual transmission.

I personally generally install the 92 -95 gear reduction starter in my Foxes if I am buying a new one. The MOTORCRAFT SA769ARM is a re-manufactured unit and the MOTORCRAFT NSA3268N is a new unit although I don't believe its actually a Ford manufactured part. You have to change the starter wiring a bit to work properly, but I prefer the smaller/stronger starter for better exhaust/header clearance and better cranking power. Any lifetime warranty starter from the Big Box Auto parts stores is an excellent option too. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    A MOTORCRAFT SA734BRM shows to fit 64-91 Mustangs according to Rock Auto. For the 79 models there are generally two different starters depending on automatic or manual transmission.

I personally generally install the 92 -95 gear reduction starter in my Foxes if I am buying a new one. The MOTORCRAFT SA769ARM is a re-manufactured unit and the MOTORCRAFT NSA3268N is a new unit although I don't believe its actually a Ford manufactured part. You have to change the starter wiring a bit to work properly, but I prefer the smaller/stronger starter for better exhaust/header clearance and better cranking power. Any lifetime warranty starter from the Big Box Auto parts stores is an excellent option too. Good luck!
    Thanks, great answer.

Agreed, I use the smaller, higher power unit in everything, because it is oem cheap. The Tilton style mini starter Ford used to sell is a good upgrade, although it's an expensive unit.

FWIW I also used a factory ford PMGR starter on my project (89 roller block and 10" flywheel). I pulled a used one from a 94 mustang with a 3.8 at the junkyard to try cause I read they were all the same. Sure enough it bolted up and way we go. It also weighs much less and leaves more room in that area as a bonus.

Note you will also need to mod the wiring on the solenoid for the conversion. The quick and easy way is to basically move the battery cable to the same side on your existing starter solenoid and then use the switched output from the other side of the solenoid to trigger the solenoid on the starter. Hopefully that makes sense...I also grabbed a chunk of the #12 starter wire with the proper connector when I pulled it out etc.

It has worked really good so far !!