Close

Thread: "Loose" Visors

Default "Loose" Visors

Is there anyway to tighten up the Visors? Mine are installed, snug to the headliner, yet when I take off, they want to roll back and not stay in place. I flipped em and put them running along the door, but that doesnt look the best and hopefully someone has a cure to fix them.

Since that drives me crazy, I have usually modified my headliners and cars to use the later model style that have the additional mount near the center of the car.

I believe several people have wrapped the sunvisor rod with tape to help create some drag or resistance to the visor rotating while driving. That would be my first option and see if that helps. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I've used a pair of pliers to gently squeeze the metal liner inside the visor so it is tighter to the rod. Only helps for awhile if you're actually using the visors, since the rotation loosens up the metal liner
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

In a prior thread about this:
    Solved that with neo magnets in 2017. Works like a charm to this day.
    Can pivot visor down and the magnets still hold visor up. Visor can be pivoted to the side as usual.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-M...47HD/202526369

The magnets hold just right great. No mods to visors. Small, not really noticeable. Cant see them with visor up.
    My post #22 has details. Post #24 shows them in place.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-won-t-stay-up

Quote Originally Posted by Qwk View Post
    Is there anyway to tighten up the Visors? Mine are installed, snug to the headliner, yet when I take off, they want to roll back and not stay in place. I flipped em and put them running along the door, but that doesn't look the best and hopefully someone has a cure to fix them.
    If you're talking about the way the visor pivots up and own on the long thin rod that holds it, I'll tell you how I fixed mine. I found that even with new visors there was still play because the rod was worn from years of wear and tear. I could see the scoring in the metal. Even getting a used one might still be shot or close to it. So i bought an electric engraver from harbor Fright. A cheap one. https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...ver-46099.html

I polished the steel rod with sandpaper then I took the engraver and I scored it with lines length and width wise. It raises the metal above the surface and kind of created a spline with the engraver. At first the visor didn't want to go back on easy so I polished the "spline" gently with sandpaper, testing the fit after a few tries I was sure it was right. I smeared a thing coat of never seize on the rod and wiggled the visor back into place.

In the 5 years since I did that I have had zero flop. They stay where I place them and they are probably a little tighter than they were from the factory. but it's a problem solved permanently and I don't need an ugly magnet. There's nothing to lose by trying it.

Awesome!!

THANK YOU guys for the tips!!