Close

Default more valvetrain questions

So I've seen enough videos, tech articles about getting heads machined that I see the pattern of the recommendation where they say "make sure you mark which rocker goes with which cylinder and install in the exact same location". That recommendation makes sense, that one rocker might wear different than the next with a pushrod, yada yada yada.

But I want to know exactly how particular is that best practice?

Because I had a set of heads rebuilt, and what came with it was a box of the stock rockers. But with no idea of which came with what head/cylinder, what am I risking here re-using the stock? I'm buying new push rods anyway, and adjustment is inherent anyway. Do I really need to scrap these and buy a fresh set?

I would think something like that is moot because you're assembling a new head/block combination.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

That makes some sense. Curious if anyone else would second that notion?

Run them and don’t lose a wink of sleep over it. I’ve never ever set my rockers aside in a pattern so I know which went where. Just install them correctly and you’ll be grand.
    Light Regatta Blue 1986 Mustang GT 5sp - bone stock....block and rotating assembly.

I just recently learned that the commonly referenced E7 heads mean E = 80s, 7 = 7... meaning first year EFI heads (I know I'm not breaking new ground here, just adding context).

So since I have a 78 Fairmont with a 302, what are the specs on Intake and Exhaust valve size as well as combustion chamber size for whatever D heads I have? I'm mostly more concerned about the combustion chamber size, so I can do a compression calculator to figure out what GT40P heads I have might do to the compression

I don't have data on the 78 Fairmont, but the 79 Mustang 5.0l had 69cc chambers with a 0.047" thick gasket in 49 states and 1.78"/1.45" valves. 8.4:1 CR in 49 states.
    Last edited by Jack Hidley; 12-22-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Thank you both!

I want to say the 78 dealer brochure said the Fairmont 302 had an 8.1:1 compression ratio, but I now need to go hunt that down to fact check.
    Last edited by Str8sixfan; 01-04-2020 at 11:45 PM.

I have found this website to be very informative: https://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_details1.php

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    I have found this website to be very informative: https://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_details1.php
    That's weird, just checked my link and it goes to a BMW. The page I copied was '78 Fairmont. Anyway, poke around over there, they have a page for almost every car

The GT40p heads will add about a point in compression ratio. My GT40p heads measured right at 59cc combustion chambers. I had fresh from the machine shop heads that I used the stock rocker arms, push rods, and roller lifters without any issues...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bwguardian; 01-05-2020 at 01:45 PM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    The GT40p heads will add about a point in compression ratio. ...
    Are you saying 8.8 to 8.9, or 8.8 to 9.8?
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Are you saying 8.8 to 8.9, or 8.8 to 9.8?
    A point, not a tenth of a point...so the later. The 80's 5.0 was rated at 8.4:1 for most applications.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride