Close

Thread: dash

Default dash

how hard is it to put a 87-93 dash in a 84 gt
    what all do I need to do it, I have access to complete 93 dash and console with gauges, and door panels

You have to bend down the tabs just below the windshield to match the angle of the Aero dash. You will need all of the wiring, duct work, etc. to make the swap. The steering column switches, etc. will be needed as well as trim. You will need the A pillar trim and the center console brackets. You will have to swap out the E brake and make the modifications needed to shift the handle over to the passenger side rather than centered as it is currently.

Most everything is a bolt in/on or minor modifications to make fit/work. IMHO its a lot of work for little benefit unless you just like the Aero dash that much more over the Four Eyed dash. I have done the swap in the past and have no intentions of doing another one. I have modified my 82 GT dash to use the Aero console, HVAC, and radio openings for the benefits those provide, but still keeping the Four eyed instrument setup and top dash pad. I also have an 85 GT that has the Aero interior and dash. I would prefer it didn't but again since its done and functional I will leave as is. Good Luck with the swap!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

it was very easy, but all the wires need to be changed over most connectors are differentAttachment 128830
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Any pics of the process? I'ld love to see what the 82 dash modifications for aero console look like.

My own $.02, the aero cars interior always seemed......incredibly blah. The dash especially. That said, I did swap quarter windows, door panels, and quarter plastic from an 89 onto my 86GT. Afterwards, I wish I hadn't. Parts chasing aside, it wasn't that difficult. Aesthetically though, it was boring. The aero cars lost their umph. Maybe it's because they were the same for so long. Again, my $.02. By all means, make yourself happy. Don't let someone else kill your vision.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by snavesa View Post
    Any pics of the process? I'ld love to see what the 82 dash modifications for aero console look like.
    Starts around post #182. I still have to finish the final body work and paint, but haven't had the chance since I have been working out of town for most of the last two years. Hoping to have some time in the near future.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...s-begun!/page8
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks guys but I have decided to keep the stock stuff in it now just have to find the replacement door panels, dash pad, console lid, and seat covers front and rear, its an 84 Anny. Car with canyon red color. I already converted to 4 wheel disc and 5 lug conversion, and didnt like the 84 grill so I converted all the molding and front and rear bumper covers to an 85 GT. Its a 5.0 5speed t-top car

Nice to know it can be done, in case of worn out dash damage or lack of correct year parts, to keep cars on the road.
    Feel would be hard to justify labor and cost simply for a new look using 30+ year old parts.
    Better dash gauge backlighting, controls, HVAC, radios, console design, could be a plus.
    Having to have anyone do repairs on the mod later or resale may not be.