Close

Thread: Strut issue

Default Strut issue

Having a issue with my struts in my 84 gt. New to this so maybe I'm missing something or put them in wrong? When I first installed them the motor was out and I tightened them up and they seemed fine. Just dropped motor in this weekend and they are loose now which makes sense. Problem is I cant tighten nut anymore. There is not enough thread and the nut just bottoms out on shaft. Hopefully that makes sense. Anybody tell me what I did wrong and how to fix?
    Attachment 128780
    Attachment 128781
    Attachment 128782
    Attachment 128783
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Can't tell for sure from the pictures, but it appears to me you are missing at least one of the bushings for the strut. The strut appears to sit too tall in the mount which tells me something is missing or wrong.

Here is a link that shows the install. It might help to determine what is going on. Good Luck!

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-1925/mustan...hing-kit-85-04
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

In the 3rd photo, the crush sleeve is present as it should be. Once the nut is tightened, the crush sleeve will be clamped against the shoulder machined into the strut stub. This can't be seen because it is below the bushings in the photo.

It is impossible for the nut to run out of threads on the strut stub if the crush sleeve is in place. In your 2nd photo, that is not what is happening. The nut won't tighten more because the crush sleeve is being clamped. The crush sleeve can't move down any more.

Page 6 of the link below shows all of the parts and the order in which to install them.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/a...CC9994v4r8.pdf

Note that you must install the top of the stock dust boot. It has a hemispherical shaped metal piece in it that takes up some vertical space on the strut stub. Without it in place, the crush sleeve will sit too low and the nut might run out of threads. My guess is that you are missing the bottom plate because there is a gap between the top of the strut tower and bottom of the upper bushing.
    Last edited by Jack Hidley; 07-21-2019 at 08:52 PM.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Hmm not sure how that happened. I thought I followed right directions. Bad thing is I threw out old sleeves and stuff with old shocks. Am I screwed now? This is what it looks like underneath.
    Attachment 128792
    Attachment 128793
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 07-21-2019 at 09:26 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Order the LMR kit from post #2 or find an old 1985-2004 Fox chassis car and pull the dust boots off of it for your car. You must have the rubber piece at the top of the boot and the hemispherical piece of steel below it installed. Without those installed, there is nothing to stop the strut shaft from pushing up through the hood. Whatever you do, don't put the car on the ground.
    Jack Hidley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    Order the LMR kit from post #2 or find an old 1985-2004 Fox chassis car and pull the dust boots off of it for your car. You must have the rubber piece at the top of the boot and the hemispherical piece of steel below it installed. Without those installed, there is nothing to stop the strut shaft from pushing up through the hood. Whatever you do, don't put the car on the ground.
    Ok thanks Jack, the car is currently sitting on the ground but is not driveable. Will that be alright or should I have it on Jack stands? Also that lmr kit is out of stock. Will this kyb one from summit work?
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kyb-sm5036/

Or would this be better because it has the hemispherical plate?
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m.../?tab=Overview
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 07-21-2019 at 09:35 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

If you push down on the front end of the car right now, the strut shaft is going to go straight up, the same distance. If you do this far enough, the tip could hit the hood. If you are absolutely positive that nothing is going to push down on the front of the car, you can leave it on the ground. I would put it on jack stands.

Assuming that the photo of the KYB parts is an accurate representation of them, they should work fine.
    Jack Hidley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    If you push down on the front end of the car right now, the strut shaft is going to go straight up, the same distance. If you do this far enough, the tip could hit the hood. If you are absolutely positive that nothing is going to push down on the front of the car, you can leave it on the ground. I would put it on jack stands.

Assuming that the photo of the KYB parts is an accurate representation of them, they should work fine.
    Ok, ya the hood is off because we just installed engine. Still have a ton of other stuff to put in so it should be fine. I will get those ordered and hopefully that will get me fixed up.
    Thanks for the help Jack, appreciate it!
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

So this is the kit I ordered and have now recieved.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kyb-sm5036/

Have not installed it yet. Question is what piece stops the strut from sticking through the shock tower so much? Cant see anything in this kit that would stop the strut from fully extending. Looking at my setup the only thing I realize I forgot was the bump stop.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

See attachment below.

This is an exploded view of a SN95 strut assembly, but it is nearly identical to a Fox setup. I've added some identifying marks.

Shoulder (S) on the strut rests against the hole in the bottom of the cup (P).

The top of this cup has a rubber bumper on top of it (T). T rests against the bottom of the Factory Bottom Plate.

The Factory Bottom Plate is then put against the bottom of the strut tower.

These three parts all stack up against each other and keep the strut shaft from pushing up through the bushing assembly.

Name:  Strut assembly.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  33.2 KB
    Jack Hidley

Ok, so does the white bushing that I have installed in my dust boot (pic in previous post) sit inside the cup? I remember that the stock cup that was on the car did not fit inside my replacement dust boots and I was supposed to use the white bushing that came with my moog kit.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

In your photo, the white part looks like a polyurethane bumpstop to me.

I can't tell what part is below it.

For me to answer your question, you will need to cut the zip tie, so that the dust boot can be removed from the other part. Then lay this other top part down, separate from the white part, and take photos of both pieces from at least two orientations (side and bottom). Post these photos.
    Jack Hidley

Ok, but there is no part below it. The white bushing sits inside the dust boot and then zip tied to secure it. Thanks for you advice. When I get a chance to take the struts off to inspect I will post pics.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

That's the problem then.

Throw away the white part. Zip tie the dust boot to the metal cap (P T) and install everything as shown in my photo.

If you don't have a rubber bumpstop, you can probably slide the white part down the strut shaft first to put it in place of the Factory Bump Stop.
    Jack Hidley

Ok, I know when I tried to do that with the factory metal cup it did not seem to fit in my boot. I will try again.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

The nonfactory dustboot that is on your car may or may not fit around the metal cup. However the car can not be driven without the metal cup. The dust boot on the other hand is optional.
    Jack Hidley

Think I got it. How does this look?
    Attachment 128928
    Attachment 128929
    Was able to keep the white bushing as it sits evenly with where the metal cap sits.
    Attachment 128930
    Thanks for all your help Jack!
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Yes, that looks correct.
    Jack Hidley