Close

Default Camber/caster plate and Strut Tower Brace questions

I emailed Maximum Motorsports on this and they have sent a nice reply (on a saturday) but of course I don't trust any of them have experience with CFI and a TFI in a 4I.

Come on now, that was fun and you know it.

Anyway, my mechanic installed the camber and caster plates as instructed and they are very 'high' rubbing the insulation. I can get past that. I want to drive and race the car, not protect the hood insulation. Is that what others have experienced in convertibles or otherwise? I can only believe it is the case. I want change in the front suspension and that ain't going to happen without changing the geometry.

The strut tower brace is another pig though. I have searched through the history on here and other places and I can't find a definitive "yes, CFI, TFI, and this MMSTB-2 work". It is the brace for a carb engine (the snorkels and all) but mine has the TFI rather than what ever inferior POS distributor they put on an old fashioned carbed engine.

So. Anyone know? My mechanic feels like we are going to crush snorkels on the filter and get way to close to the distributor if he installs it. Opinions? Anyone ever try this on a CFI engine?
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Well, after the overwhelming response I just went ahead and did it. Looks good. So far a very nice improvement in the feel.

Name:  IMG_20190722_162552.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  151.7 KB

And no worries, I found the longer coil wire that came with my set and it is now nicely tucked under.
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Check this picture out from last weekends autocross. Name:  FB_IMG_1563830393639.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  86.5 KBI chalked both the front and rear tires before this run. You can still see the chalk on the rear tire. 41 pounds of air in the fronts... all the chalk is gone. That chalk was over half way down the sidewall....

FEP Member

Impressive traction going thru the corner. I don't have any experience with either, but have been looking at both items. I had been looking at that brace, but alot of the threads didn't indicate that they noticed much of a difference. I'm glad to see that you have noticed a difference. Is it worth the money? I noticed a huge difference with subframe connectors.

On the caster/Camber plates. Did it lower the front of the car at all? Looking at swapping my 85 to 11" brakes and thinking of adding caster/camber plates at that time, but would like to even it out, currently the front is about 5/8" higher than the rear.

When I had phone dial wheels and 15" tires back in college, for autocross I ran 50psi in the fronts. They still rolled over too much.

c/c plates on a Fox/SN95 car can't have any affect on the ride height. The spring goes between the FCA and bottom of the upper frame rail. That determines the ride height. The strut itself has essentially zero static force, so how it mounts to the car can't affect the ride height.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

The caster/camber plates did a few things... 1) The shop that does the alignment stopped complaining when I brought the car in. 2) I got a couple degrees of neg camber in them (maxed out) 3) and this is the big one, when I go lock to lock the front end no longer looks like a road grader. That is huge, and was the whole point. At my next race I will chalk them again but I am sure I won't have the scrubbing on the front tires I was getting.

After the strut brace the car is completely different. The plates probably contribute as well, but the car feels tighter and responds to 'road imperfections' predictably. It feels planted in the corners and the car feels 'new'. Before it had this kind of sloppy 'point and hope' feel to it. Almost like a 67 chrylser new yorker.

My next addition will be the MM panhard for the rear. Not sure about the frame connectors yet. That will probably happen but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    My next addition will be the MM panhard for the rear. Not sure about the frame connectors yet. That will probably happen but we will see.
    Both the panhard bar and the full length SFC are great additions. Personally I would add the Maximum full length SFC before the panhard bar. The solid foundation they provide will make a huge difference in the overall feel and handling of the car. They will allow the suspension to actually do its job while not having the typical limp noodle chassis flexing and moving all over the place. The SFC are the first modification I do to EVERY Fox I own. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yeah, I am starting to lean that way as well, I just need to find a shop I really trust to do the welding, don't need that for the panhard...

Yeah, I am starting to lean that way as well, I just need to find a shop I really trust to do the welding, don't need that for the panhard...
    Any decent exhaust/muffler shop can usually do the welding. You will want it done on a 4 post lift if going that route. Protecting the fuel lines, vent lines, etc. is the biggest issue. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

The caster/camber plates did a few things... 1) The shop that does the alignment stopped complaining when I brought the car in. 2) I got a couple degrees of neg camber in them (maxed out) 3) and this is the big one, when I go lock to lock the front end no longer looks like a road grader. That is huge, and was the whole point. At my next race I will chalk them again but I am sure I won't have the scrubbing on the front tires I was getting.

After the strut brace the car is completely different. The plates probably contribute as well, but the car feels tighter and responds to 'road imperfections' predictably. It feels planted in the corners and the car feels 'new'. Before it had this kind of sloppy 'point and hope' feel to it. Almost like a 67 chrylser new yorker.

Thank you both for the responses. I had seen threads where the plates lowered the car, but couldn't ever figure out how that would happen, but do agree that these cars need some help with the camber curve. I put the subframe connectors on already, and can attest that would be the best first mod. I'm hesitant to drill the holes in the front strut towers for the strut tower brace. Really anything to make these cars flex less is good. I'll bet it is a fun car to autocross!

Autocrossing it was fun with a front suspension like a road grader made with a plywood frame. I can't wait till I can try it now.