Close

Default What's the secret to removing the headliner?

I have an 81 4 door Granada. I have all the seats out but can't seem to get the headliner board out through the door. Is there some secret I am missing???

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Pull the rear seat upper cushion and out the trunk?

Hey! It's 11pm Friday evening.

Mike

That was going to be my next thought. I figure I have two options-

1- Fold it, and strengthen the fold after I have it back in on the floor before putting it back up. But, don't really want to do that

2- See if the metal framework behind the rear seat cushion can be un bolted out. All cushions are out already.

On a four-door the door opening just does not seem big enough. It was getting dark when I posted and car is in a car port because I do not have a garage.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

No go through the trunk as the bracing is all welded. I suppose I could remove the windshield...
    Seems like a lot of work though!

It is possible large headliners were brought inside thru the front or rear before the f/b glass was installed on the final line.
    Delaying setting of windshield allows better access for dash assy install too.
    Many products are assembled in a specific sequence for easy of assembly, not repairs.
    The old style bow style headliners were brought in thru an open door.
    Vehicles with larger door openings, like a two door, usually accommodate a one piece headliner.

Got it! For some reason didn't think about the fact that the long edges bend down over the doors. I folded them slightly, slight bend of the whole thing, and slid it out the back door.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Glad you figured it out. Yea I had to have my seats out to get mine out through the passenger door.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Nice work. I was going to give another vote for "bend it slightly". That's what I had to do, even with the bigger opening provided by the Z7's 2-door configuration.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Not really a problem on a 2-door.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual