Close

Default Electric fuel pump on carburetor. Need help...

Found out a little too late that the motor I ordered did not have an eccentric to run my mechanical fuel pump, so now I have to use an electric one. No big deal, but I am not sure what to do with the return line that used to be hooked up to the stock fuel pump. Was that line just used to pump excess fuel back to the tank? Can I just cap it off? I'm not sure if it was running fuel back to the tank of if the pump was putting air into that line.

Anybody with a little knowledge on the situation please help!

Thanks

Wouldn't it be easier to just add the eccentric? And if you run an electric pump, I would suggest running a return on it. It's much healthier for the pump and generally works better that way.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Name:  lrs-9350mp_3888.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  11.2 KBthe little line above the fuel line that goes to the carb is the one I am talking about...

The return line in an EFI system is just that. Returns fuel to the tank. Some carb applications had return lines for the same reason.

You can run an electric fuel pump with a carburetor. Your biggest issue will be making sure you run a regulator that keeps the fuel pressure at a level that is necessary for the carburetor to function properly. Generally around 5-7 lbs compared to 32-43 lbs for most stock EFI pumps.

Although it might be a bit of a PITA at this point to disassemble the front of the engine to install a fuel pump eccentric, if your timing cover has the opening for one, that will still probably be the easier and cheaper route to go. Quality fuel pressure regulators are not inexpensive. You also want to make sure any rubber lines from the pump to the carburetor/pressure regulator are rated for the higher pressure. Normal fuel line is not and could burst from the additional pressure. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Didn't even look before I assembled it

No efi. Car is a stock 83, been carburetor all of its life. I have a fuel pump designed for carburetors, only 7psi. I just need to know if said line is a return line, and if it is necessary.

I honestly don't recall the actual routing of the additional line on the stock fuel pump. I have the same setup on my 82 RS. Unfortunately mine was not running and missing parts when I purchased it. Hopefully someone can chime in and verify the actual connection of the extra line.

I would bet you can run without the line as it was most likely emissions related, but again want to verify that before moving forward. I assume you are running the stock 4bbl carburetor?
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

The regulator will have a return line.
    Not sure how to plumb it into the tank though.
    Still trying to figure that one out for my Fairmont wagon...

Hello. I had an 84 GT engine in my Pace Car and I swapped my stock fuel pump like the one pictured above with an Edelbrock pump. The Eddie pump doesn't have that little extra line port, just the inlet for the fuel and outlet to the carb. So that extra line that may be a return line back to the tank because I just have it tucked away and plugged up and the car runs fine. I'm guessing the Eddie pump doesn't require that return because it's already rated at 5-7 PSI normal operation. Also, when I check my tank under the car, there are two ports on the sending unit, 1 bigger and 1 slightly smaller. So I'm guessing the smaller line must be that return line.
    What's a little confusing for me is that I didn't think carbed applications had return lines back to the tank. My car had originally 4T engine, but yet the there are 2 lines running from the tank to the front.

I am running a electric holley fuel pump rated 5-7 psi and no return line. I just tucked the return line away and have had no issues in 7 years of running it that way. Just make sure you install a inline fuel filter before the pump and run the outlet hose right to the carb.
    Bob
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Late answer but here's a suggestion, Holley carburetor adjustable fuel pressure regulator for systems with a bypass return line to the tank.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...parts/12-803BP

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged347 View Post
    I am running a electric holley fuel pump rated 5-7 psi and no return line. I just tucked the return line away and have had no issues in 7 years of running it that way. Just make sure you install a inline fuel filter before the pump and run the outlet hose right to the carb.
    Bob
    I've been doing this for many years on my 84. It's the Holley red pump. Cut a rectangle of radiator hose for an isolation pad and hung it off my rear bumper. Placed a filter before it. Ran a thick switched power wire (can't remember gauge) making sure that I fused it right after the splice under the hood and tied along the brake lines. I also do not use the vent line.
    85 GT convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Puter View Post
    I've been doing this for many years on my 84. It's the Holley red pump. Cut a rectangle of radiator hose for an isolation pad and hung it off my rear bumper. Placed a filter before it. Ran a thick switched power wire (can't remember gauge) making sure that I fused it right after the splice under the hood and tied along the brake lines. I also do not use the vent line.
    I think you used to be "puterami" on the carbed forum? Recognized your silver '84. Anyhow did you use a g-switch or an oil pressure switch to kill the pump in case of somebody causing a wreck? How long has you holley red lasted so far?

My 84 carbed car had a return line. I put a 91HO in it and converted to carb. I have a Holley black
    that I'm going to mount by the tank somewhere. Just not sure best place to put it yet. I have done a lot of reading and some say run a return line and some say you dont need it. I called holley and asked then and they said you don't need a return with my pump. Pretty sure the Holley blue, Red and black would be the same. Was told just to cap it at the sender.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    My 84 carbed car had a return line. I put a 91HO in it and converted to carb. I have a Holley black
    that I'm going to mount by the tank somewhere. Just not sure best place to put it yet. I have done a lot of reading and some say run a return line and some say you dont need it. I called holley and asked then and they said you don't need a return with my pump. Pretty sure the Holley blue, Red and black would be the same. Was told just to cap it at the sender.
    Sounds like that ought to work. I may try the cheapo holley mightymite for awhile and then upgrade to a black or red. I'm planning to mount mine on the frame above the tank on passenger side where the hoses are. I may grab a "G switch" out of a newer mustang with electric fuel pump for safety in case of a wreck etc.

I'm a believer in return lines with carbs to avoid vapor lock with todays ethanol blends. Longhauling on Hot Rods Power Tour, my 66 Vette ran into vapor lock issues given 100 degree temps, tight engine area and loooong lines. No problems since I added a return line - line comes off mechanical, thru filter, pressure gauge, past carb feeds to a Mallory return style regulator ( about $150) and then returns back to tank. I built a similar system for my 406 stroker 72 Challenger - again works beautifully on two long hauls.
    Last week I took my "new" 83 GT for a spin and after 1 1/2 hours on a 100 degree day I had vapor lock. PO had a 25 gph Facet micro mounted midway down in front of the tank, just above the plastic shroud. The Facet is marginal for my engine build so for a short term quick fix I'm replacing with a 32 gph Holley Mighty Mite and adding carb insulators. Once I get thru home renos, Im setting up another bullet proof return system like the Vette and Challenger, upgrading the Mighty Mite if necessary
    Vette pic attached.
    Name:  vette return.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  264.2 KB
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

Quote Originally Posted by Solow302 View Post
    I think you used to be "puterami" on the carbed forum? Recognized your silver '84. Anyhow did you use a g-switch or an oil pressure switch to kill the pump in case of somebody causing a wreck? How long has you holley red lasted so far?
    Yep. And 'puterami' on Corral.
    No, I did not. I probably should have tied it into the oil pressure switch somehow.
    I actually had one Holley red die on me. That was after 5 years. Replaced in 2010. The second is still going strong, although I sold the 84 that I had for 31 years back in February to another member in the Mustang club here.
    Last edited by Puter; 08-13-2020 at 04:28 PM.
    85 GT convertible

Hi R___! Been a long time. I tried to help you find a job in TN some years back if I recall. Sorry to see the '84 part ways with you but it sounds like it went to a good home. So far my cheapo pump is working fine and it would be easy to replace if it goes out so I'll give it a road test for a few years to see what happens.

I ended up snatching a "G-switch" off a junkyard car. It was tripped when I got it and when I hit the reste button it had contact again so I assume it is in working order. Pretty easy to mount and really cheap! Only has 2 wires so you interrupt the power wire with one of these and viola!