Close

Default AC compressor rebuild

Hello everyone:

The 6p148a compressor on the 86GT died. Again. I had it rebuilt in 2015 but apparently the system leaked a few times and needed recharged. I had the system charged on June 10 and used it twice then nothing. Tried again yesterday but the dye showed the compressor leaking at the middle of the compressor body. I had a local garage do the work to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. So they vacuumed the system out for me and away I went.
    Is it worth rebuilding again and can that even be done? Not sure I want to tackle that job but as these compressors are better than aftermarket and worth saving, thought I'd ask everyone. I don't recall what all was replaced or repaired when I sent it away. It wasn't seized up just not working. I don't even recall when it was pulled off the car. Maybe ten years, not sure. Lucky I kept it. I prefer Ford parts if possible.
    New compressors are extremely high priced and aftermarket ones don't last.
    Looks like another hot summer in the GT. Well, it will sit until the temp drops. I cleaned the interior especially the seats and they look good. And a new headliner.
    Thanks for the help.
    Cheers.

Here's a shot of the compressor. Leak is right at the center seam but slightly more toward the bottom as mounted. Dye was very obvious.
    Name:  AC comp leak.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  81.6 KB

So it won't run at all, even if you jump the low pressure switch?

Brant

Subscribing because I too am curious about rebuilding my AC pump and if they are difficult to do
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I just replaced mine with a new one (not reman) from Rock Auto so I wouldn't have to go through this. I figure if the first one lasted 35yrs, this should be close to a repeat.
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.

FEP Power Member

Those compressors are not that expensive. $200 or &230 for new one on Rockauto.
    Last edited by KevinK; 07-16-2019 at 11:51 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

When charged up it runs until the coolant leaks out enough to keep the compressor off. It was nearly empty the first visit. I used it twice before it leaked out requiring the second visit and the discovery of the leak.

I thought of simply replacing it but not sure what quality I'd get from aftermarket. The clutch is good and I can remove that. But it would be nice to have the original working again.

I checked the shop manual. Is states that if the center seam is leaking to replace the compressor. Looks like that's what I'll have to do. And I think $200.00 plus for a compressor is a little steep. But whatever. I'll check around.

A new, not rebuilt compressor for $200 seems on the cheaper side to me. The original lasted how many years?

Early last summer I replaced the entire A/C system on my '92 F150 including a new compressor. If memory serves right the best price I found for a new Motorcraft compressor was about $240 from RockAuto.

If you want an original '80's style to rebuild I think that I have a couple in my stash, they are used and in unknown condition. I opted not to use them on my Stang but figured that a core is not a bad thing to have should I want to rebuild one in the future.