Close

Default anyone try heidts valve

I was wondering if anyone had tried a heidts valve on their power steering, and if so how did it work?

Default anyone try heidts valve

Quote Originally Posted by toddf View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had tried a heidts valve on their power steering, and if so how did it work?
    toddf,
    I just installed one on my 85 Convertible but haven't had a chance to run the car yet.
    I'm hopping to get the car running within the next few weeks.
    It was a paint to install.

I will be interested to hear how you like it
    did you have to remove the rack? Did you get proper fittings when you bought it or have to find them?

I did it the old fashioned way, by putting a 3.8 pulley on the PS pump. It's much larger so, gives more steering feel and less boost.

That is a great idea did you get the pulley from the bone yard or use the pump too?

My car started life as a 3.8 so I had a PS pump from that. I have, however, pullered them off in the JY in the past.

Do you know the years to look for on the pulley?

Typical underdrive kits have a nicely downsized crank pulley. The one I have barely clears the crank pulley bolt heads on the crank pulley. Had to use a crows foot to tighten as a socket won’t fit

Summit stocks a nice repopped version of the small 93 Cobra waterpump pulley. Supercharge guys love them for upping the water pump volume. I find the typical underdrive waterpump pulley slows the waterpump and fan down way to much for all but the most stock engine of the very best of water pumps.

altetnator pulley from underdrive kit IMO is needed unless the car is 3G converted

I did this to my 86 with what I feel are great results

slowibg down the PS pump solves so many problems — especially high RPM fluid spray

I greatly prefer the steering feel in my 86GT over the steering feel in my 16 MKX in any mode it has.

If anyone steals my 86GT they will drive it nicer than I do probably..... but when I’m on it hard or just cruising the steering feel is great

Haven’t been around a steering setup I like more. I’ve driven a few cobras with the sought after made of gold racks too. Not impressed vs simply dropping the volume on the stock pump

they might make a marginal difference at the road course but this is a street car .....

Best parts of the small crank pulley is its free power.

Better steering feel, less power lost to PS pump

Also good

slightly slower water pump but not much — less chance of blowing a heater core without compromising cooling

Slow the drive on the AC the clutch stays engaged all the time until around 2600 so if you have lower rear gears or run over 2000 frequently it works out better than stock. Stock kicks on and off constantly above 1800

Underdriven smog pump is a plus — still enough air, less power loss

Anyway — just what I did and what I recommend. You can easily find these parts new.

The belt I run is 1” shorter than 1993 Cobra if I remember correctly. Difference is due to smaller alternator pulley afaik
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-06-2019 at 07:07 PM.

On my version I have an UD pulley kit + the 3.8 pulley on the PS. It's still just fine to drive anywhere and the boost works normally.

I got a boneyard pulley and put it on and it slowed it down just enough to feel much better
    thanks for the idea plus I think it looks better same size as the bracket

Good to know that you can underdrive and still go to a bigger pulley and get by

i might have to look at that

I do have an electric fan if that matters