Close

Default Ignition switch screw?

Swapping out the ignition switch and cam across these,, screws? Never seen anything like that before. I cant tell if something was cut off or if that's how it's supposed to look.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tamper proof screws. You will need to use a dremel and cut a slot into the head of the screw so you can remove with a flat blade screwdriver. The new ignition switch should come with new screws. If not, just match up the threads at your local hardware store and replaced as needed. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I cut them off with a cut off wheel. Off the the hardware store. No screws with new switch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User

I used a center punch and hammer to tap it around and got it loose enough to remove with my fingers. Went to the hardware store and got a replacement.

Small vice grips also work really good.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

x2... small needle nose vice grips worked.

bolts
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ch-replacement

https://www.npdlink.com/product/moun...0000%26year%3D

Got mine off the floor at work cleaning up a parts box spill. Did not know what they would fit at the time.

I used a sharp punch and a hammer. just tapped them til they started turniing

So....since we are on the subject, I always wondered the purpose of those. You can start the car with a .99 flat blade screwdriver jammed in the key slot. Why in the world were they worried about someone stealing the ignition switch?? And before you respond, remember that if you have another ignition switch and key, you can simply unplug the wiring harness from the one that is attached with "tamper proof" screws and plug yours in and drive away. I always thought that was hilarious from day one in the '80s. I've never owned an automatic Mustang. Maybe there is some interlock where you can't take it out of gear without removing the ignition, IDK? I know the manual ones are easy to steal.

We used to have races to see who could use a coat hanger to break in to our own cars the fastest too. We clearly did not have enough productive things to do

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    So....since we are on the subject, I always wondered the purpose of those. You can start the car with a .99 flat blade screwdriver jammed in the key slot. Why in the world were they worried about someone stealing the ignition switch?? And before you respond, remember that if you have another ignition switch and key, you can simply unplug the wiring harness from the one that is attached with "tamper proof" screws and plug yours in and drive away. I always thought that was hilarious from day one in the '80s. I've never owned an automatic Mustang. Maybe there is some interlock where you can't take it out of gear without removing the ignition, IDK? I know the manual ones are easy to steal.

We used to have races to see who could use a coat hanger to break in to our own cars the fastest too. We clearly did not have enough productive things to do
    Maybe I am over thinking this, but if you are saying you can jamb a flat blade screwdriver into the key slot of the ignition lock cylinder to start the car, there's no need to swap out the actual electrical ignition switch. If you remove pigtail for the ignition switch and plug into yours, then yes you could start the car that way, but the steering column would still be locked and you would not be able to steer the car while driving away.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post

I've always wondered about these stupid screws too. I've replaced several switches with them and just use standard screws when I put the new switch back in. I suppose wraithracing's response below makes sense. I always figured if you were trying to unbolt the ignition switch to steal a car you were doing it wrong anyway. They never say anything about the steering wheel lock in the movies where the guy just reaches up under the dash and rubs two wires together and the car starts and off they go.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Ive bought cars with no keys. If the car is higher mileage, almost any ford key will start it. I have a collection of 20+. I would say about half can be started just by turning the lock without even a key in it.

Someone who steals them or doesn't care, one solid tap with a hammer and the screw driver is the key. The steering wheel lock can easily be over come with the right "touch".
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar