Close

FEP User

Default painting new dash PAD from LMR?

So, I've tried 3-4 different shades of grey...….quote on quote..."the correct charcoal grey from LMR and as far as matching the Charcoal/dark grey dash from LMR which looks to be supplied to them by dashesdirect.com. Anyway, that was way to dark!! not even close to matching the dash......then I tried 33602 which people on here claim is correct......was to light......then I tried a custom mix from my buddy at the ppg paint store and it was close but still a tad off...…….the only real solution would be to paint it along with the new arm rest= same issue. However my dilemma is it comes with a piece of paper saying not to paint it as most paints won't adhere to the polyurethane material...…….I was wondering if anyone has tried to paint these flimsy POS dash pads? I would think, clean it real good, scuff it lightly with a grey scotch pad then use Bulldog adhesion promoter then paint it may work...….or it may be a roll of the dice......So I was wondering if anyone on here has had any luck painting the repo-dash pads? if so how did it work out? Just don't want to screw up a 200 dollar dash pad if someone has already tried it with bad results?

When painting plastic parts, I always use Adhesion Promoter. I generally use Bulldog, but have used others over the years with success.

You don't state exactly what year your vehicle is, but being charcoal grey I assume its an 84-86. In my experience very little of the OEM greys match from piece to piece and part to part. This is due to some being molded in colors, others being "dyed"/painted. That along with sun fade, age, dirt, etc. can make matching virtually impossible. Most of my vehicles are basket cases or diamonds in the rough to begin with so I will generally repaint/dye everything plastic on the interior at the same time. This guarantees that everything matches and doesn't drive me crazy. Sounds like yours probably doesn't need that, but it might be something to consider.

The next recommendation would be to take one of the pieces such as a kick panel or something that is generally protected from the sun to your local paint supply and have them match the color. You can also generally use the inside of a molded in color piece for color match. This is the best option as most of the time my paint supplies can't actually find a mixing formula for the interior color code these days. Just went thru this with the 85 Saleen Clone for Erratic50. Had to have the interior color matched to the kick panel to get it right.

I will say the NPD spray cans are very good in regards to match most of the Fox interior colors, but again even those can be off a bit from time to time. Many people won't notice it, but if you are like me I see colors very well and can detect shades of grey, blue, yellow, etc. even when most people can't.

Last bit, is I also recommend using a really good cleaner before painting any plastic parts. I personally like MEK, but it's NASTY stuff! Most people can't deal with the fumes of it. It's also getting harder to find. Home Depot has a MEK substitute that works OK, but not the same as the original. MEK will soften the plastic slightly for a bit when used as a wipe down. This helps to give the new paint something to really grab onto. You have to be careful not to damage any textured surfaces as if you soak the part with MEK it can actually remove the texture. I generally put the MEK on a blue towel and quickly wipe the surface. It will discolor the surface, so again don't get it on anything you aren't repainting.

If all of that is too much for you, SEM offers a Vinyl Prep spray that works very similarly. Seems to work pretty well, not as aggressive as MEK and smells better. I still prefer MEK, but I generally try to have some for other uses also and that allows me to not have to keep as many different products in stock. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I used DupliColor charccoal gray, along with an adhesion promoter. I think the color came out perfect.[h=https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-H.../dp/B06Y6FSWSP]1[/h]
    Name:  039.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  80.2 KB
    Name:  P1040662.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  96.1 KB
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

FEP Power Member

Not all dash are the same. I posted this a while back. I also noted the one version said do not paint. My guess this applies to the one manufactured in colors other than black. The old ones could be painted.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I believe the solid urethane dash pads don't recommend painting. I would guess its because they are so flexible that they are concerned with the paint cracking or chipping. Either way, my experience is the solid urethane pads aren't worth it since the fit and finish is terrible IMHO.

The dash pads with a solid core seem to fit the best and you shouldn't have any issues with painting any of them. Unfortunately NONE of them fit as well as the OEM pads, but at least you do have an option for replacement that works pretty well overall.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post

The dash pads with a solid core seem to fit the best and you shouldn't have any issues with painting any of them. .
    Not true. Please read the write up I did on the red dash pad. It was a solid core sheet metal. It was not like the early urethane floppy ones. The solid core and solid color came with a tag that said do not paint. I don know what type of plastic to call it but it likely is not porous enough for paint to stick or has a mold release built into it.

There may be another version out there by now but I have not seen it. There was talk of one made like Ford did it but I have not seen or heard of anyone getting one.

Maybe it has something to do with the molded color.
    Last edited by KevinK; 07-17-2019 at 06:55 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Not true. Please read the write up I did on the red dash pad. It was a solid core sheet metal. It was not like the early urethane floppy ones. The solid core and solid color came with a tag that said do not paint. I don know what type of plastic to call it but it likely is not porous enough for paint to stick or has a mold release built into it.

There may be another version out there by now but I have not seen it. There was talk of one made like Ford did it but I have not seen or heard of anyone getting one.
    I remember reading the thread when you first posted it. I just recently installed two dash pads both by Dashes Direct. Both of them have the core, but not 100% if the core was metal or fiberglass. Both pads were painted, one with NPD spray paint and the other with SEM. Neither one of them had any issues with holding the paint. The SEM painted one was done by a friend and initially there was a slight fish eye reaction to mold release agent or some other contaminant on the pad. I cleaned it and wiped it down in the same manner as I describe above and after that there was no reaction and the paint stuck just fine.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I’m afraid I’m not long before I have to get a new dash pad also. But mine is red. Hopefully red will match

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by curtisboyte View Post
    I’m afraid I’m not long before I have to get a new dash pad also. But mine is red. Hopefully red will match

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Good Luck! But . . . I wouldn't bet on it. In my experience most of the colors are close, but even brand new a lot of the different plastic pieces didn't actually match.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP User

okay, so here is what I ended up doing......after trying all the colors people said were correct, none even came close to matching what the pad was...….so I stopped trying to match paint to the dash pad and sent it back to lmr and bought the solid core black one that "could be painted" I put adhesion promoter on it and painted it with a custom match from my local paint store since even the LMR quote on quote correct "svo grey didn't match any oem panel and the LMR paint is crap!! like water coming out of a can it's so thin!! don't waste time with LMR paint...……..anyway, my local paint store BAPS mixed me a custom match called midnight black and it was nearly a perfect match to the color of the panels...…..so I painted the "paintable dash pad and dash and it came out very nice!! I will say the reproduction pad doesn't come with any holes drilled and the plastic pads they put on there are not the correct size, had to trim one....and the quality of the pads are mediocre...….but that is all that it out there, so it's better than nothing at all...….fitment was "okay"....meaning not as snug a fit as the originals but it works!