Close

Default 4180c Car won't idle. Trying to rebuild.

Is there is a place to buy a 4180c? I've checked all the local parts houses and no go. Checked the usual online vendors. No one has one in stock. The one on my car is junk. It sat from 1993 and has some broken parts. I ordered the 3-3146 rebuild kit and gave rebuilding a go anyways. It went pretty well but I have fuel coming out of the needle valve screws on top of the float bowls. I'm guessing I missed some kind of step when I replaced the old ones. The car still won't idle.

At this point I'm tempted to just buy a 1405 or 1905 edelbrock carb and put it on. My brother in law has a performer rpm 302 intake he'll give me if it would work.

Thanks

Give rebuilding a re-go. Since you got the kit, and a carburetor in front of you... are there newly replaced round washer gaskets above and below those needle and seat adjuster nuts (one below the nut and one below the screw)? There should be... each in one piece... no splits or torn... Remedying whatever is going on there, using a 5/8" wrench and large flat screwdriver, will stop fuel leaking out of them.

As for not idling... the 4180 has the most convoluted primary metering I have ever seen in anything, with an especially stupid bunch of dirt-collecting components and twists and turns within their primary idle/transition circuit pathways. Clean, clean, and clean especially the primary idle circuit pathways again, and blow out with compressed air from all directions... and then blow it all out again. Were the idle mixture screws removed from the base plate? If not, can be a major source of idling trouble, since dirt can totally collect real good down in/near them too...

Grab a refreshment, and see the following thread for more in-depth and correct detail about 4180's than exists on the rest of the internet altogether:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-Holley-4180-s

Good luck with it
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 07-15-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Ok. I'll check the gaskets out. I hadn't drilled the idle screws out and will do that. One of the tabs that holds the choke on is broken off and the choke itself doesnt really work. I think I may have found the idle issue. The gasket between the egr and manifold was junk.... I'll give this another go and report back.

Sounds like a simple problem to me. Replace the gaskets on the needle and seat adjuster and verify the float level.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

Went thru it again yesterday. I drilled the plugs out and cleaned out the idle circuit. There wasn't much crud in there. I'm waiting on the gaskets to show to put it back together.

Best of luck with it, you should be good to go after that
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

I got it on and still had a leak. The front bowl gasket was pinched. I fixed that and fired it up. It high idled. I kicked it down, and it fell on its ass. Now I can't get it to restart. Plugs are dry. I did buy a 4160 while I was picking up the gaskets at autozone. Just in case.

Where is the primary idle screw set at? Sounds like fast idle kept it running, and when off the fast idle, the blades shut...? I presume it's idle speed screw is located at the solenoid... is that working, extending when the key is on, so as to open the primary blades and establish idle speed? Ensure that the primary throttle blades' position at idle (solenoid energized if it has that) is exposing approximate squares of the transfer slots below the throttle blades... if that's not the issue and/or there's still no dice, give each primary idle mixture screw another half turn out and try...

Which 4160 did you get?
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

I got back on it tonight. I had to monkey with the tranfer tube again. I got it up and running. The idle screws are set at 1.25 turns out, which is what they were from the factory (more or less). I had it running for a while with nothing strange happening. Thanks for the help and the kick in the ass. I actually had the 1460 out of the box at one point. It's a street warrior? Box says Bolt it on and go... vacuum secondaries, electric choke. There is a primary vacuum tube coming off the back which would need to be removed as it hit the EGR. That's pretty much what made me give the 4180 a final go.... I haven't driven it yet. I'll see how it goes tomorrow. I disconnected the front vacuum on the 4180 and put a cap on it. The car idled fine after that. I do have a PVC, will mess with that tomorrow.

It has a tiny leak around where the fuel line goes into the part that holds the filter in. I'm going to try to find those tonight.
    Last edited by BusaRider007; 07-15-2019 at 09:28 PM.

FEP Member

You're making progress, and that's good. It's so easy to give up on a project when you hit a roadblock.

I ended up getting it running just ok with 4180. For giggles I put the 4160 on it. Night and day difference. I'm going to run the 4160 and send the 4180 out for a rebuild as the rest of the car is pretty much stock. Thanks for the help with this.