Close

Default running a little warm with ac on

I have a 84 gt with a .040 over roller motor with stock 84 heads and a comp cam 281h. when I run ac if I stop the temp starts climbing. I have a 185 thermostat was a 195 did the same all stock everything else. stock fan new clutch about 2 years ago. advanced auto part plastic side tanks 2 row radiator. it gets to 210 quick turn ac off comes back down to 190. as long as I'm moving its fine. Do a need a bigger or better radiator. I have the one that was in the car when I got it. it has metal tanks and 2 row but not original, it has a hole in it. would the metal side tank one make any difference or do I need a 3 row. or could it be the fan clutch.

Test the fan clutch and make sure the shroud is on and has tight fan to shroud tolerances. Although here where it is still 87degrees at 10:00pm a 3 or 4 row radiator will ensure you have no overheating problems.
    My 84 has the same issue and if I drove it more than once or twice a month I would change radiator.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

I ordered a 3 row radiator https://lmr.com/item/SVE-8005A-BL/mu...or-black-79-93 got it for $167 free shipping. lets hope it worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2roc View Post
    I ordered a 3 row radiator https://lmr.com/item/SVE-8005A-BL/mu...or-black-79-93 got it for $167 free shipping. lets hope it worth the money.
    I got one with a volvo efan… it can be 100 degrees and I can blast the a/c on high.
    My Previous Stangs:
    86 GT, t-tops, 5 speed.
    87 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.
    88 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.
    89 LX, Sunroof, Roller (project)
    90 Coupe, LX, 2.3, 5 speed.

I am running a 100% stock setup (197 thermostat) in the deep south with 100 degrees and 100% humidity and run the AC constantly all the time with no issues. You have a problem obviously. The radiator MAY have been it, I guess time will tell. I might do some more investigation before throwing too much more money at it. Ford spent money on a fan shroud for a reason or else they would've saved the $3 per car it cost them. And as mentioned above, the fan clutch has to be in good shape as well.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-07-2019 at 04:29 PM.

FEP Power Member

I had no overheating problems with my 85. My radiator had a small leak so I replaced it with a Champion aluminum unit. It started to run hot. I finally put a used stock unit in and no more overheating.

Sometimes you need to rule out bad new parts.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I got the new radiator installed. let it sit running for about 20 mins with ac on temp never moved off the 185 mark. But I think I found the problem what I thought was a 2 row radiator in the car was a 1 row. thats why it would not keep the 5.0 cool.

Glad its up and running cool. that should solve the problem for many years..
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"