Close

Thread: Windshield time

Default Windshield time

I have a 92gt that I need to have a windshield replaced on. Year it’s not a foureye but still a foxbody. Last guy that did a windshield on the side for me made a total mess of my dash and even got sealant on the hood. Not this car a different one. Any recommendations for someone in the Charlotte NC area. Hate looking out of a cracked windshield. Thanks. Boogie

FEP Power Member

I would locate a local Carlite dealer.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I'd find a pro to do it. If there's any problems you can go back and get them fixed. I've used Safelite a few times and had no problems.

The windshield is now part of the structure of the car and needs to be put in properly. And, if you are insuring your car properly, it will likely be covered. Maybe even no deductible. I think my last one was $50.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Your best bet is asking locally for a good reference. I had a Safelite guy come and replace the windshield in my 70 coupe, but I normally wouldn't recommend their local shop. However, this particular installer had many years of experience and was a car guy, himself. I did a few windshields professionally when I was younger and I would replace one myself before letting any random shop do it.

My 88gt windshield popped right out on a hot summer day. I started to use the cutting tools, but realized some steady outward pressure released it from the soft butyl. To reinstall, I used (and would suggest using) urethane. You can buy it at NAPA, order online, or buy a couple tubes from your local glass shop. I want to say napa and some other places sell the 3m urethane for $25-30/tube. Pretty expensive. My buddy's shop uses a different brand for around $10/tube and he prefers it for quality reasons. You'll need to clean all the butyl off before using urethane, or it won't have good adhesion. This is the part many shops don't do and ultimately results in leaks or just a poor install in general. To apply the urethane, you cut the nozzle to around a 1/2" opening...THEN, make an additional "V" shaped cut on one side to create a tall bead that will help seal the glass with less-than-perfect curvature. You will also need a special primer to prime scratches in the pinch weld area, denatured alcohol to clean glass and metal surfaces, and a special primer for the edge of the glass where the urethane will be sealed. If an installer isn't using these products, you've got the wrong installer.

You probably won't diy this, but that's basically everything you need to know about a good install...whether you're supervising the job or tackling yourself.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

After 88, I'm not sure if Ford still used butyl. May have switched to urethane by then. Or if it has been replaced, it may already have urethane. If it is urethane, I wouldn't suggest cutting it out yourself. It's doable, but WAY worth the small amount to pay a professional if you have never done it.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I am afraid I would get to heavy handed and damage the paid to be honest. Yep I will call a professional for sure. Thanks for the advice. It’s amazing how active this forum is compared to other foxbody forums. Always good advice here.