Close

Thread: Koni rebuild??

Default Koni rebuild??

Want to get the original front struts to my Saleen rebuilt this summer. There are supposedly three companies that rebuilt Koni product. Has any one had their koni’s rebuilt by one of the three? If so which one and how did you like the service? Just trying to figure out if one is better than the other. Thanks guys
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Koni will rebuild them and supply a warranty. You must specify you want your originals back.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

FEP Power Member

Lifetime warranty for original owner at Koni.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I looked at all 3 for the original rear shocks on 86-145...

Pro Parts quoted $250-$260 per shock.

Performance Shock said "Our standard service is from $200 per unit and includes replacement of all seals and oil, full inspection and post service dyno test. Replacement Koni shocks are $90.48 each. For most Koni single adjustable shocks, replacement is the most cost effective option given it’s available. If your original shocks are date coded, you may want to service them instead of replacing them to maintain the authenticity, but that is up to you. Current turnaround for service is currently 3-4 weeks. Replacement shocks are in stock."

I used True Choice Koni Service in Ohio. The quoted rebuild cost was $157.50 per shock plus parts. They said the parts are usually $30.00 to $40.00 per shock and turnaround time was five days.
    They were accurate on the turnaround time. Cost ended up at $525 for the pair. Overall, very happy with the quality of the finished product. Wasn't thrilled with the cost, but there was additional work required - they had to replace the guide assemblies and tube seal nuts with upgraded components as the old ones were not serviceable. Hence the extra cost in parts.

Name:  koni.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  104.3 KB

Name:  koni2.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  76.2 KB

1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P View Post
    Koni will rebuild them and supply a warranty. You must specify you want your originals back.
    I do not think Koni does them anymore. They list the 3 rebuild companies on their web site.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Lifetime warranty for original owner at Koni.
    I know but I am owner #4
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Quote Originally Posted by 1986Saleen View Post
    I looked at all 3 for the original rear shocks on 86-145...

Pro Parts quoted $250-$260 per shock.

Performance Shock said "Our standard service is from $200 per unit and includes replacement of all seals and oil, full inspection and post service dyno test. Replacement Koni shocks are $90.48 each. For most Koni single adjustable shocks, replacement is the most cost effective option given it’s available. If your original shocks are date coded, you may want to service them instead of replacing them to maintain the authenticity, but that is up to you. Current turnaround for service is currently 3-4 weeks. Replacement shocks are in stock."

I used True Choice Koni Service in Ohio. The quoted rebuild cost was $157.50 per shock plus parts. They said the parts are usually $30.00 to $40.00 per shock and turnaround time was five days.
    They were accurate on the turnaround time. Cost ended up at $525 for the pair. Overall, very happy with the quality of the finished product. Wasn't thrilled with the cost, but there was additional work required - they had to replace the guide assemblies and tube seal nuts with upgraded components as the old ones were not serviceable. Hence the extra cost in parts.

Name:  koni.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  104.3 KB

Name:  koni2.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  76.2 KB

Thank you. This is exactly the input I was looking for. True Choice has not got back to me yet. The front struts I have are the original ones to my car. They have been off the car for a few years now but I would like to refurbish them if possible.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I just wanted to follow up on this. So I sent my struts to True Choice and had them refurbished. Turn around time for me was one day. Put them on a couple weekends ago and had the car aligned on Monday. I love the way the car handles now. The adjustable struts make all the difference in my opinion. While the KYB's I had on there for the last 5-6 years were not terrible for the cost (free) the originals make all the difference. Drives like a totally different car now. Thanks for the recommendation.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Excellent!

Yeah, I've never been a KYB fan either.
    Had them on a 65 & hated the ride. It ended up with Koni's too.
    1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

KYB = Kill Your Back?
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support