Close

Default In floor subframe connectors questions

How’s it going everyone, thanks for looking, I’m about to cut into my 4eye to do in floor subframe connectors, it’s currently pretty much bare besides the suspension rear end and wheels, essentially rolling chassis, my question is should there be more weight in the car Before I start welding or will it be fine as is? I’m going to put the car flat on all 4 tires on top of the frame machine at my job that way I can weld the inside and the bottom without having to move the car at all, I appreciate any help!!!

Well car was bare when the factory welded the body chassis on jigs well before tires were installed.

As "flimsy" as Foxbody cars are to begin with the bigger question you need to answer is this:

Is your Mustang body 'Straight and Square" as it sits now BEFORE you weld in the the frame connectors?

If you intend to build a good car and since you have access to a frame machine set the car up on the pinch welds on the frame machine and check ALL the body measurements points front to rear BEFORE the welding begins. If need be do some frame pulling needed to get the car back to straight and square first then weld in the connectors. I would not depend on the tires sitting on the frame machine to indicate that you have a straight and square body. Do it right the first time!

You will probably be surprised how twisted and/or crooked your car's body is from just being driven as a "Car"!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 06-30-2019 at 09:49 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Well car was bare when the factory welded the body chassis on jigs well before tires were installed.
    you got a point, I saw lmr or some other video where they used a car lift and lifted the car up by the suspension and they had a whole reason behind doing so, I use the frame machine allot but This will be the first time I don subframe connectors and roll cage and all that, thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    As "flimsy" as Foxbody cars are to begin with the bigger question you need to answer is this:

Is your Mustang body 'Straight and Square" as it sits now BEFORE you weld in the the frame connectors?

If you intend to build a good car and since you have access to a frame machine set the car up on the pinch welds on the frame machine and check ALL the body measurements points front to rear BEFORE the welding begins. If need be do some frame pulling needed to get the car back to straight and square first then weld in the connectors. I would not depend on the tires sitting on the frame machine to indicate that you have a straight and square body. Do it right the first time!

You will probably be surprised how twisted and/or crooked your car's body is from just being driven as a "Car"!

the car is a 86’ coupe 4cylinder with 38k miles, all original panels, never wrecked, I drove 12 hours I think it was to buy it and trailer it back home another 12 hrs, having had several ‘original 5.0’ fox’s I have encountered my fair share of tweaked body’s where the doors won’t shut right to ripped off torque box’s, rust holes covered with tiger hair ect I’m just doing my homework so that I do an excellent job the first time, I appreciate the comments

What does it usually run to have one squared up, my Capri was well abused before subframes