Close

Default Red LEDs for Dash

Has anyone put red LEDs in any part of their dash and if so what was the result with the red/orange lens in the 85s and 86s? I am thinking of trying them in the HVAC control.

Thanks
    Brant

I used red in the warning lights (i.e. e-brake and key). Very bright and intense. I used superbrightleds. There is an issue with the HVAC control panel though. There are two locations that have lights. One of them has a shroud/receptacle that is just barely large enough for a standard incandescent bulb. The bright led effective diameter is too big to fit. I think I ended up leaving both original bulbs in place. Same issue with the error console.
    1985 GT owned since new

I wrapped normal bulbs in tail lamp repair red tape and also made sure the red light filters were all in good shape. (you can get reproductions if needed)

We did the same thing again but also special ordered red incandescent bulbs the last time we had things apart on my car and my son's convertible. This looked the very best of anything we've seen.

I redid my cluster with red LEDs and I did the message center and the HVAC in red LED as well. I left the amber lens's in place because it looked too fragile and I didnt want to break anything. the red LED over powers the amber lens for sure.

Name:  Mustang message center lit red.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  53.2 KB

Well, let me tell you what happened. I had a really good AC controller I bought from a guy on here. I went to O"reilly's to get the bulbs, the guy gave me the wrong bulb, it looked great for about ten minutes, then it melted the face of the controller. So this past week I took the face off my original and put on the melted one, well the fan switch side is much dimmer than the temp control side. So I ordered the red LEDs from superbright and tried to put them in this weekend. Well the fan switch side LED was too fat and I broke it off in the housing. So I had to take the face plate off again and remove the broken LED and re glue the face back again. So now I'm back at step one trying to get the fan switch side as bright as the left side. I did put the 194 red LED in the left side and it was overpowering, so while I was holding the controller I slid that one into the fan switch side and it looked pretty good. I ordered a white and red 1892 and a white and red 194 with the socket and wiring so if I have to I can rig up both sides with the 194s.
    I will update with results.

Brant

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    I redid my cluster with red LEDs and I did the message center and the HVAC in red LED as well. I left the amber lens's in place because it looked too fragile and I didnt want to break anything. the red LED over powers the amber lens for sure.

Name:  Mustang message center lit red.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  53.2 KB
    Looks great, I did my cluster but with white so it doesn't pop like yours does but replacing that printed ribbon circuit on the back of the cluster made a big difference in brightness and gauge function as well.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    I wrapped normal bulbs in tail lamp repair red tape and also made sure the red light filters were all in good shape. (you can get reproductions if needed)

We did the same thing again but also special ordered red incandescent bulbs the last time we had things apart on my car and my son's convertible. This looked the very best of anything we've seen.
    I am scared of the regular bulbs now that I melted one face plate.

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    I used red in the warning lights (i.e. e-brake and key). Very bright and intense. I used superbrightleds. There is an issue with the HVAC control panel though. There are two locations that have lights. One of them has a shroud/receptacle that is just barely large enough for a standard incandescent bulb. The bright led effective diameter is too big to fit. I think I ended up leaving both original bulbs in place. Same issue with the error console.
    I did same thing but after the melt down I'm determined to make LEDs work in the HVAC contol.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorbackGT View Post
    I did same thing but after the melt down I'm determined to make LEDs work in the HVAC contol.
    I made LEDs work with my HVAC and Console. I changed the shifter light, ashtray light, everything. Theres an LED for every part. I did my exterior in LEDs too, all except for the headlights. i dont like the look of the LED headlights for Foxbodys.

I had difficulty matching up bulbs for the console and the HVAC so i took out the original bulbs to find out the sizes and the LED equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorbackGT View Post
    Well, let me tell you what happened. I had a really good AC controller I bought from a guy on here. I went to O"reilly's to get the bulbs, the guy gave me the wrong bulb, it looked great for about ten minutes, then it melted the face of the controller. So this past week I took the face off my original and put on the melted one, well the fan switch side is much dimmer than the temp control side. So I ordered the red LEDs from superbright and tried to put them in this weekend. Well the fan switch side LED was too fat and I broke it off in the housing. So I had to take the face plate off again and remove the broken LED and re glue the face back again. So now I'm back at step one trying to get the fan switch side as bright as the left side. I did put the 194 red LED in the left side and it was overpowering, so while I was holding the controller I slid that one into the fan switch side and it looked pretty good. I ordered a white and red 1892 and a white and red 194 with the socket and wiring so if I have to I can rig up both sides with the 194s.
    I will update with results.

Brant
    I have dimmer lights on the fan controller side of the HVAC as well. Nothing can be done to correct that. I actually tried a larger LED with 5 lit sides and I cut open the hole the bulb holder goes into to force a bigger bulb in and it was still dimmer then the left side. Only noticeable in the daytime, at night its barely noticeable. Dont try to correct it. You will never get even lighting on the fan switch.

Later on I modified my dash with a stock HVAC from a hatchback that had stock rear defrost and I wired up my vert to have rear defrost. I went back to the smaller correct sized bulb in the fan switch. No reason to butcher another perfectly good HVAC and no difference in brightness.

I have dimmer lights on the fan controller side of the HVAC as well. Nothing can be done to correct that. I actually tried a larger LED with 5 lit sides and I cut open the hole the bulb holder goes into to force a bigger bulb in and it was still dimmer then the left side. Only noticeable in the daytime, at night its barely noticeable. Dont try to correct it. You will never get even lighting on the fan switch.

Later on I modified my dash with a stock HVAC from a hatchback that had stock rear defrost and I wired up my vert to have rear defrost. I went back to the smaller correct sized bulb in the fan switch. No reason to butcher another perfectly good HVAC and no difference in brightness.
    Yeah, I agree, I am happy that I was able to swap out the face plates and have it look good. I'll see if it's not to much trouble to make the 194 work on that side, if it turns into more trouble, I'll just stick with the dimmer bulb.

Thanks
    Brant

Theres an LED for every part. I did my exterior in LEDs too, all except for the headlights. i dont like the look of the LED headlights for Foxbodys.
    Yeah, superbrightleds have a lower intensity style that may fit, but I haven't pursued it yet.

As for the headlights, I agree that most of them don't look right. I have been doing some searching though. I have found a headlight body intended as a conversion to replaceable halogen bulbs. And there are LED bulbs intended to replace those Halogens. Here are a couple links:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VU4X7U/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JF5M73S/
    1985 GT owned since new

Aha, I got it done and turned out better than I expected...for once. I used this LED, https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ofit-car/2077/, and it was snug, but I worked it in there and it is lit and just as bright as the rest of the dash.

Thanks for everyones' input,
    Brant