Close

Default Rare? 83 GTTURBO T-Top

Bought that s thinking it was a swap and found out that it's a production car. Anyone have info on 83 production numbers in 83. I can provide the VIN if needed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZqCGf6VuU3Det2wR7
    84.5 Mustang GT Turbo T-top car

According to Marti Auto Works there were 556 Turbo GTs made for the 1983 model year. Unknown how many had T-roof option.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

T roof was typicality 10%. I really want to find the build sheet to find out if the SVO stuff was stock or added. It looks way too stock to have been added.

Turbo GTs were not intercooled.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

As a rule, SVO's were loaded from the factory. The only extra-cost features: leather interior and moonroof. Now, if you have an (early) '84, that's a different story. Early would be built before 12/83.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 06-27-2019 at 08:54 PM. Reason: text added

I know the GTs were not intercooled. I am starting to think it was a 1990s repaint and they had an SVO doner. It has the 140 speedo, spats, bi wing, and intercooler. With a 87-88 TC engine and a '79 hood scoop. I really want to find the build sheet. It also has black interior. It is an interesting Mish mash.

https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm

Just sayin'. Should be interesting.

Mike

Use the VIN decoder here. That at least will tell you if it started out as a Turbo GT, SVO, or something else.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Enter VIN:
    1FABP28W8DF216762

1FA Ford vehicle manufactured in USA by Ford Motor Company
    B active belts, no airbags
    P passenger car
    28 Mustang 3-door sedan (hatchback)
    W EFI turbocharged 2.3L engine
    8 VIN check digit
    D 1983 model year
    F Dearborn Assembly
    216762 116,762nd 1983 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

P28W = Turbo GT hatchback
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

So yes, it's likely been repainted. The "intercooled turbo" sticker is not original/correct. The bi-wing spoiler is from a 1986 SVO. The spats are from a 1984-86 SVO. The intercooler is not original/correct for a Turbo GT. The "GT" sticker on the hood s placed incorrectly and the "GT" stickers on the fenders and hatch are missing the color-coordinated "Turbo" nomenclature with a stripe through the middle.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

That's pretty much what I was thinking. GT350R and I have been going over what interesting parts it has. My guess is just like you said. Someone had. GTTurbo and found an SVO and added the Xtra parts. I wonder why just the speedo and not the whole cluster(did the 84 SVO just have the overboost light not the gauge?) . No shift knob, no leather shifter boot, wrong hood scoop. Why did it have the inline intake not the 87/88. I don't have the EEC, that would be nice to see what one it was because it has a big vam and 30 lb/hr injectors and it is not repinned for a LA3(84 SVO?). The car is a total Mish mash.

SVO had an a 140 mph/220 kph, or 215 kph/140 mph in Canada, speedometer and a boost gage. Turbo GT had a 85 mph/140 kph, or 180 kph/115 mph in Canada, speedometer and an amp gage.

The other four gages (8K tach/oil/water/fuel) were the same.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 06-28-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

That's what I thought, This one has the turbo GT cluster with 140 mph speedo.

Is it a 140 mph speedometer with numbers all the way to 140 or numbers stopping at 85?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Is it a 140 mph speedometer with numbers all the way to 140 or numbers stopping at 85?
    The numbers stop at 85 like the SVO. Numbers all the way was the Motorsport speedo.

I wish it was the Motorsport.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...RtT1o1aEVMdzRB
    Last edited by juscuz; 06-28-2019 at 02:07 PM.

To clarify what Mick was saying, JUST (and only) the upper half of the Bi-Plane wing is from an SVO. The bottom half is a STOCK LX and GT piece (depending on the year) from 1986-1993.You can see they do not match like a proper SVO lower would.
    To get to your original question, rare has absolutely nothing to do with value if that's what you are driving at. A 1982 Diesel Chevette is pretty darn rare. However, they are entirely worthless. If this is your car, do what you want to with it and have no concern with rarity or future value. There are nice original GT Turbos around for sale all the time and they are hard to sell even if they are original. If you are thinking about buying it, go in with the knowledge you have gained and make a proper offer and you will be fine. Make it your own and let us know how it goes. They are a TON of fun to drive. I had a T Top GT Turbo for several years and absolutely loved it. That little Lima 2.3 can be turned in to quite the street terror if one is so inclined.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-07-2019 at 03:04 PM.