Close

Default remove and install side view mirros on 84

I have had an issue with water leaking in during rain storms, running down the door panels just under the side view mirror handles.

I had been thinking the A pillar post weather stripping was the issue but this week we have had a lot of rain on Long Island and I went out to check the doors just after the rain stopped. I found the A pillar weather striping to be dry and I could still see water dripping under the side view mirror handles. I pulled off the handle covers and could see water intruding behind the handle covers.

So my next idea is to remove the side view mirrors, replace the "filler" gasket that goes there and maybe reassemble it with some RTV or silicone behind the side view mirrors. I found the filler gaskets at a rear counter listed dealer. I just dont see how the side view mirrors come off. When I remove the handle covers I can see 2 screws pointing into the car, but the screw heads seem to be inside the assembly. What am I missing here?

Anyone have a diagram or pictures of the side views removal for an 84?

If I remember correctly, on an 85 at least, the mirror has studs and there are hex nuts that secure it to the door.

Can you provide a source for the mirror seals you found?
    1985 GT owned since new

Under the trim plate, there are two studs with tiny nuts that hold the mirror onto the door.
    Remove trim plate to access them.
    There is a tiny allen screw, under the knob in the trim plate, that retains the knob and cable to the trim plate.
    Loosen allen screw just enough to release knob/cable, and slide trim plate off knob/cable.
    The knob and cable do not detach. They stay with the mirror when removed from outside.
    At least on a 79.
    I use a 1/4" drive w/extension with bb of butyl in the socket to retain the nut.
    Tape the socket to the extension so it wont detach.
    Can use a nut driver too.
    A bit of strip butyl between the door and mirror in the gap may help.

Trust him on his point about doing something to capture the nut as you unscrew it. Very easy to drop them inside the door akin. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    If I remember correctly, on an 85 at least, the mirror has studs and there are hex nuts that secure it to the door.

Can you provide a source for the mirror seals you found?
    Hey, heres the link to rear counter. it shows 3 vendors have the front filler seal. I emailed Green sales and they told me they only have the passenger side. But theres only one part number for this part on every diagram i looked at. So I'm confused.

https://www.rearcounter.com/E5ZZ-612...arts96816.html

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Under the trim plate, there are two studs with tiny nuts that hold the mirror onto the door.
    Remove trim plate to access them.
    There is a tiny allen screw, under the knob in the trim plate, that retains the knob and cable to the trim plate.
    Loosen allen screw just enough to release knob/cable, and slide trim plate off knob/cable.
    The knob and cable do not detach. They stay with the mirror when removed from outside.
    At least on a 79.
    I use a 1/4" drive w/extension with bb of butyl in the socket to retain the nut.
    Tape the socket to the extension so it wont detach.
    Can use a nut driver too.
    A bit of strip butyl between the door and mirror in the gap may help.
    Next question, how to remove the trim plate without breaking it? I think if I can get this apart carefully i can remedy the leak. Butyl is a great idea. I have some leftover from my rear tailight assemblies.

Trim plate= the triangle one on the door inside car which holds the mirror adjustment knob.
    Mine is cast metal with one Phillips retaining screw and an allen screw on bottom of projection retaining the cable
    Pretty sure the tiny set screw has to be retracted so the plate can be slid off the door and adj cable.
    To access the mirror mounting nuts.
    Been awhile. Details of removing that plate are fuzzy. So is the gasket.
    The nuts are a clear memory.
    RTV is ok is tough to remove later. Butyl is removable gasket for immediate reposition of it or the mirror.
    I buy a 10.00 25' roll of black butyl strip at RV supply stores. Use it for lots of things car and home.

Trim plate= the triangle one on the door inside car which holds the mirror adjustment knob.
    Mine is cast metal with one Phillips retaining screw and an allen screw on bottom of projection retaining the cable
    Pretty sure the tiny set screw has to be retracted so the plate can be slid off the door and adj cable.
    To access the mirror mounting nuts.
    Been awhile. Details of removing that plate are fuzzy. So is the gasket.
    The nuts are a clear memory.
    RTV is ok is tough to remove later. Butyl is removable gasket for immediate reposition of it or the mirror.
    I buy a 10.00 25' roll of black butyl strip at RV supply stores. Use it for lots of things car and home.
    in this assembly diagram the filler is #3. Attached is a pic that Green Sales sent me. The guy said he only has the passenger side. All the diagrams I see only show part number E5ZZ61214A62A I cant find a part number for the driver side. And since this has to have a right and left hand part there must be a corresponding part number for the driver side.

Name:  645fcdf59de0c2ba65a269e5f94b05bf.png
Views: 47
Size:  27.9 KB

Name:  20190522_140415_resized.jpg
Size:  41.6 KB
    Name:  20190522_140444_resized.jpg
Size:  112.9 KB

this is the last thing i need to do to finish off my build. I have leaks on both doors under the side view mirror handles and I get drips in the center of the front convertible weatherstrip and drips in the driver side window just where the top front corner of the glass meets the A pillar and the convertible weather strips. I really want to solve these this summer.

ech the heat must have got to me
    Now realize you have a convertible, frameless door.
    Me describing mirror on hatch, full door frame.
    Different mirror mounting design.
    Strange how L-R specific parts are available for one side but not the other another.
    Usually the part number is even or odd depending on left or right.

Me describing mirror on hatch, full door frame.
    Ditto. Sorry for the confusion.
    1985 GT owned since new