Close

Default New clutch is a bit stiff

I installed a new Zoom clutch recently and it's a bit stiffer than I like even though I'll get used to it. All my clutch pedal hardware is stock with a fairly new parts store replacement cable. Are the aftermarket quadrants that come with cable adjusters etc. a different ratio that would make it less stiff? I have read somewhere also that genuine Ford cables also require less force to operate than cheapo cables.

I've replaced 2 HD clutches (2 different cars) with stock replacements to get a more factory / easy pedal feel. In both cases I ended up replacing the cable (the HD clutch ruined the cable).

I don't *think* that an aftermarket quadrant has any different ratio. It just eliminates the plastic quadrant and auto adjustment feature.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

The Zoom clutches I ran in the past did seem to be on the stiff side. I now use a Center Force DF and the pedal effort is real easy, yet it clamps enough that I had no problems with it at the track. If you just installed your new clutch I'm sure you're not looking to change it, I just wanted to mention my experience with the Zoom clutches.

The parts store cables, again in my experience, are total junk, and can contribute to high pedal effort. I think Maximum Motorsports makes the best clutch cable for our cars. It's a bit pricey but should last forever, and compared to those parts store cables it's a work of art. Just looking at it you can see how much higher the quality is.

I can't personally answer your question about the quadrants as my car already had an aftermarket one when I bought it, but from what I've heard the ratio isn't any different from stock.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Thanks guys. I'll probably try the MM cable and not worry about the aftermarket quadrant. Maybe doing a few dozen squats each morning will help me deal with the stiffer clutch!

Quote Originally Posted by Solow302 View Post
    Maybe doing a few dozen squats each morning will help me deal with the stiffer clutch!
    Worth a try. I've been doing squats on a regular basis for 40 years. Maybe that's why a stiff clutch doesn't bother me much.

408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Installed 45.00 Pioneer brand clutch cable from AZ in 2001.
    Stock 2.3T/5sp. Used with stock hd app Luk, Sachs, or Ford clutches.
    100k+. Working fine like oe even when in heavy traffic that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Worth a try. I've been doing squats on a regular basis for 40 years. Maybe that's why a stiff clutch doesn't bother me much.

I don't get enough exercise lately - except when I'm wrestling a T5 back into position that is!So squats it is!
    I

How old is your recently installed clutch cable? I've found that the heat from the driver's side header will help to ruin the non-OEM clutch cables fairly quickly. What I've done to make them last much longer is to wrap the outside of the cable with aluminum foil, buy some heater hose, slice it lengthwise, and then zip tie the heater hose around the foil. Another thing that I found out is that you can't judge the condition of the cable when it's disconnected from the clutch fork. In other words, simply sliding the cable back and forth through the sheath of a ruined cable assy will slide really easily. I did this about a year after installing a new cable and King Cobra clutch when the pedal effort climbed through the roof. The cable seemed perfectly fine when it was disconnected, so I thought there had to be something wrong with the clutch and installed a new one. Well, the pedal effort was just as stiff. Replaced the one year old cable and the problem was solved. That was the first time I started wrapping the cable with foil and the heater hose and it really helped to make it last longer.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

Use the stock Ford cable, or Maximum Motorsports. Not only is it the correct length, with the proper bits to
    hold it away from the headers, but it's also much less likely to be affected by heat. And, you get lower pedal
    effort and longer cable life. Parts store cables are cheaper for a reason. They are absolutely not the same
    thing at a lower price.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune