Close

FEP User

Default 85gt carpet and headliner

Lmr sells light grey carpet and mine looks to be light grey and the rest of my interior is charcoal darker grey, but the headliner in mine was gone......just to be clear, theses cars had light grey carpet and light grey headliner? because my sunvisors appear to be a darker grey/charcoal...more in line with paneling color....were sunvisors the same color as the headliner??

No. The headliner is the lighter gray, sun visors are the charcoal gray.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    No. The headliner is the lighter gray, sun visors are the charcoal gray.
    ahh, so carpet and headliner light grey and sunvisors charcoal....correct?? if so thanks!!!

FEP Member

That is correct!

Headliner and sun visor should be the same color. There is not a contrast.

The 85 GT generally had the light grey (silver almost) carpet. There should be the same color carpet on the lower door panel. The headliner should be the darker charcoal grey which is the same color as the quarter panels, door panels, center console, and dash.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Headliner and sun visor should be the same color. There is not a contrast.

The 85 GT generally had the light grey (silver almost) carpet. There should be the same color carpet on the lower door panel. The headliner should be the darker charcoal grey which is the same color as the quarter panels, door panels, center console, and dash.
    hrmmm, so now we have a contradiction...…...I bought a 85 donor car which has a sunroof and it had light grey headliner and darker charcoal sunvisors…..however that's not to say someone didn't change the headliner at some point...…...my headliner is in a hatchback but the headliner was gone off the board, so that's why I ask...…..Latemodel resto only sells the light grey headliner 85-86 and cj pony parts only sells the charcoal 84-86......so now I'm not sure what to do, one says yes...one says no...…..anyone else verify what is correct?

FEP User

well I just went out and looked at my headliner board and there appears to be a few small pieces left where the visors were attached and it looks as if the headliner could of been light grey in color...……...hrmmmmm unless it faded a ton

I didn't get into it as I didn't want to complicate this any further. I know I have seen at least one or two 85/86 Mustangs with the grey interior and the light grey headliner. To the best of my memory, they both had the light grey sunvisors that matched the headliner material.

I am not a sunroof guy, so I don't buy sunroof cars with the except of my 79 PC. With that being said, knowing Ford they might have done something different with the sunroof cars. So at that point the best option would be to get a few sunroof owners to verify their headliner and sunvisor colors.

The bottom line is the vehicle is yours and you can do with it as you want. Personally if you have the darker visors, I would install the darker headliner material. I think it looks better and I have no desire to accent or make the visors stand out from the headliner. Best of luck and sorry for the confusion.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

My visors were originally darker than the headliner, but they were torn and dingy. I replaced with new light grey ones from LMR that matched the headliner

FEP User

cool, I may send back the darker ones and match to the headliner......we'll see how it looks

First everyone needs to remember that the fit and finish of the 80’s and 90’s is not what today’s car have. Look at an original car with any interior color and you will see that not all the pieces matched color wise. This was due to different manufacturers, different materials, and just poor quality control. So it was not unusual for colors to be slightly lighter or darker. I believe that is what you see with the sun visors in the photo above. I would also bet dirty hands have something to do with it too.

Here are some pictures of the 85 Saleen clone with the dark grey visors and headliner. You can see a slight color difference between the due to new headliner and original visors.

Name:  9DCEF074-3DD1-4311-B8E3-13E2695825B1.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  7FE4E472-5026-46FA-AE08-FF7FA43283EE.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  63.2 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP User

I think I'll end up just matching stuff....it looks better, only problem is lmr is out of stock on the light grey visors with vanity mirrors right now, but I still have time until I need them......thanks everyone for the clarification and pics!!! makes it easier for me to decide

First time for everything, I got to disagree with Trey. I had two brand new 86 Gts and now my all original 85, all t top cars and all had the light grey liner and charcoal visors. I like the look, and I'm thinking of getting new carpet in charcoal instead of the light grey but not sure at this point.

Brant

FEP User

I still haven't sent the charcoal visors back as they currently are out of stock on the light grey, I'm still a few weeks out on getting the interior back in......fighting the correct match on interior paint.

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-N-Y View Post
    My visors were originally darker than the headliner, but they were torn and dingy. I replaced with new light grey ones from LMR that matched the headliner

Is this headliner from LMR and/or a TMI product? What is the color? Is it considered to be Charcoal/SVO Grey or Light Grey?
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

I can confirm that my '86 came from the factory with a light grey headliner and the darker visors. I bought it 100% original and know the original owner, he didn't change a thing and ordered the car brand new.
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Ford would “never” toss the wrong color stuff into these cars just to get them out the door ..... would they? Lols. Gotta be about the 5000th thing we’ve seen this kind of oddities with on these cars.

charming in a way, but also pretty annoying at times.

FEP User

so I sent the darker grey visors back and ordered the light grey visors as I liked the matched color better...…..also my car is not going to be 100 percent original the seats are from a 90 mustang so not 100 percent correct.

FEP Senior Member

My '86 has the darker visors with light gray headliner / carpet. I have some headliner material from JoAnn's to replace the light gray as it was torn and faded. The JoAnn's fabric looks close to the original charcoal from Ford, but it won't be perfect. I can tell you one thing auto manufacturers do is put contrasting colors in so that you don't have shade differences between suppliers. It may be the case with the visors and headliners, or just random quality issues.