Close

Default Replacing battery cables/starter cable

Need to replace my battery cables and starter cable in my 84. I can order replacements from lmr but being in Canada its pretty expensive. Is it better just to go down to hardware store and buy bulk and make them yourself? If so should I go thicker wire?
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 06-25-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Need to replace my battery cables and starter cable in my 84. I can order replacements from lmr but being in Canada its pretty expensive. Is it better just to go down to hardware store and by bulk and make them yourself? If so should I go thicker wire?
    This is the exact negative battery cable for an 84 with CFI. If you have a carb it would not be this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1985-M...785339766fd2c1

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    This is the exact negative battery cable for an 84 with CFI. If you have a carb it would not be this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1985-M...785339766fd2c1
    Thanks, ya mine is carbed so like you said that would not work
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Fwiw, you can make better battery cables. But, imho, you need a proper hydraulic crimper for battery cables.
    One exception is for the screw-clamp type of battery connections.
    However, you still need to do the end that connects to the block. And, using a hammer and punch is BS and makes a poor and questionable connection, and soldering is a joke.

Yea, I'm sure that people have used duct tape and bubble gum , and they've had their Mustang for 60 years and 1 million miles. However, they are not going to convince me, since my degrees are in electrical and mechanical engineering, and I've specified mission critical cables far too many times to count over the years.

And, yes, I've seen the many youtube videos.
    I've also seen youtube videos of idiots jumping off roofs into swimming pools.

Here's the crimper I got.
    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P.../dp/B00CUQ042Q

Best Choice Products 10 Ton Hydraulic Wire Battery Cable Lug Terminal Crimper Crimping Tool 9 Dies
    Price: $49.77

Is it a good crimper for professionals? - no way.
    Will likely out last the number of times that *I* will use it - yes.

Imho, they are all similar. Even the cheapest one will more than likely last for 50+ crimps, as long as the user doesn't abuse the ****** out of it.

Imho, if someone is planning on making a lot of crimps in big wires, then they should spend the money for a professional crimper.

Good Luck!