Close

Default headliner replacement

Hello all:

I managed to get the headliner out of the 86 GT, and removed the seats as well. The material came off the board easily and the foam is still there almost perfect, although old. I found some local darker gray felt material that I feel would look great inside. Not sure if it will work with the old foam and what the headliner adhesive may do to it. Guess I could try a small sample.

Anyone tried this before? I'd rather not buy a brand new board and liner. Board is in good shape for 30 plus years.

Just looking for advice. I should post a picture of the inside now. Looks like a storm went through the car. Seat belt replacement. Plus ran a wire to hook up the hatch release just because I wanted it.

Thanks much.

FEP Super Member

The foam is supposed to be attached to the fabric .
    Remove the old foam .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quickest and easiest way to remove the foam is with a wide soft wire brush. Similar to a grill cleaning bush, generally not as large are as stiff bristles. Brass and aluminum bristles seem to work pretty well for me. That usually works really well for me. Then I will use a stiff plastic scraper (think credit card) to remove any of the small residue left over. Then you are ready for your new foam backed headliner material. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I did a head liner in my Capri about 15 years ago. Mine was blue vinyl, so I went to a fabric store and found similar vinyl. I got a stiff bristle brush and removed ALL of the remaining foam on the headliner. I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to bond the new vinyl to the head liner board. It worked great and laid nice and flat. Take your time and you'll get good results.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

Try not to press hard on the headliner foam with fingers.
    Rubbing down on the foam will suck up glue, flatten down, and the finger track will stay.
    Some use light touch with ball, balloon. Even pressure, no wrinkles, no glue on fingers.
    Plus keeping the loose fabric off the glue until time to position the leading edges. The glue is messy.
    Some use dowels, etc like a slip sheet, work center out, trim later.

New User

I recovered the original cardboard backer in my 85 two years ago when the original vinyl let go. I could not find vinyl so I went with a modern style fabric with foam backing, which looks great. Get as much old foam or glue off as you can with a stiff brush. The job was really pretty straightforward. Mine is a t-top so it was pretty fragile, yet it still went well.

Paul

New User

Replaced the fallen vinyl on my 85 t-top two years ago with a modern foam backed fabric and it looks great. Scrape as much old glue/foam/etc off the backer first so the new material goes on smooth. The hardest part is getting the headliner in/ out of the car. Recovering was the easy part.