Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP User

Default 85 gt hood decal

I've got an 85gt and just finished painting it oxford white and I'm getting ready for the decals, I've painted all the trim and headlight areas with SEM 39153 which was suppose to be a close to the original color I could get and it look great...…..My question is I see the website Graphic-express offers a charcoal black and Special Grey (rare) what would of been the correct color for my hood decal? Ideally, I'd like it to match the trim (sem 39153) Anyone got any idea on this? here is a link to what I'm considering:
    https://www.graphic-express.com/1985...out-decal.html

New User

Get their stencil kit and have it painted with the SEM 39153

https://www.graphic-express.com/ford...encil-kit.html

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by rodupr View Post
    Get their stencil kit and have it painted with the SEM 39153

https://www.graphic-express.com/ford...encil-kit.html
    nice in theory but not going that route........the spray out of the rattle cans is not uniform enough so as to not create blotchiness.......it works for the small trim areas fine........sticker is the best bet unless I want to spray the hood with a professional gun and while I'm a decent painter.....this time of year in the environment I'm in...bugs and dust are an issue and I'm on a tight budget......just wondering if what they offer can come close to the sem 39153??

I used the charcoal black one about 15 years ago as the original was faded and cracked. So not much to lose, but it is black and not a match. Really surprised they can't offer a better match after all this time. I don't know about the gray one, but it looks like it would be worse.
    1985 GT owned since new

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    I used the charcoal black one about 15 years ago as the original was faded and cracked. So not much to lose, but it is black and not a match. Really surprised they can't offer a better match after all this time. I don't know about the gray one, but it looks like it would be worse.
    yeah, I really want to match this as much effort as I've put into the body work and paint and wet sanding done........I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can send in a sample for them to match.

FEP User

any pics of how off/bad it looks with the charcoal moulding and a black hood stripe?

FEP Member

My car is Oxford white also.i tried the sticker and was not happy with the results.peeled it off and painted it with the stencil kit.cross referenced the sem 39153 with standox brand paint I painted the car with.low sheen clear and it was a perfect match.i have a thread on here with pics of it
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...985-gt-project

FEP Member

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    My car is Oxford white also.i tried the sticker and was not happy with the results.peeled it off and painted it with the stencil kit.cross referenced the sem 39153 with standox brand paint I painted the car with.low sheen clear and it was a perfect match.i have a thread on here with pics of it
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...985-gt-project
    did you prep the surface first....like scuff the area where you'd be painting for adhesion? also did you spray a base then a low sheen clear on top of the base?

FEP User

also do you have part numbers for the paint you cross referenced.....my local paint store couldn't cross it.

FEP Member

Let me see what I can dig up.yes,I scuffed it with upol paint prep and a 3m gray scuff pad.they should be able to find a paint color close to the sem charcoal gray..also sem makes a clear coat now..don’t know if you could get it correct with cans but something to look at.i believe the part number for the low luster clear is 13023.problem is,sem doesn’t make 39153 in quarts,or the clear.just black.if they did,we would be all set.also wrathracing on here uses a ppg paint on his..try the search you might be able to dig a number up.or he will see this and chime in.
    Last edited by kfxmatt; 06-24-2019 at 10:11 PM.

FEP User

yeah, I don't have standox where I'm at.....just ppg, Sherwin Williams and sickens

FEP User

also, I wouldn't spray it out of rattle cans....never be uniform, I'd use my hvlp…...my hood isn't on yet so I could still paint it in my makeshift booth, it's all painted oxford white and been wet sanded and buffed and polished...……...how many coats did you do ? and how long did you leave the tape on before pulling it off? did any paint lift on the edges when pulling tape off?

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    ,sem doesn’t make 39153 in quarts,or the clear.just black.if they did,we would be all set..
    actual sem does have the formula to mix it in quarts, I looked into it a while back and was able to get a sem formula sheet for 39153 and the transfer mixture to larger volumes......however, you have to find someone who has the SEM mixing station and they gave me a reps number but I never followed up as I thought it'd be a lengthy process and I'd most likely end up driving a good distance for a quart of paint....I may follow up to see if it is possible......if such can be done, that would be the perfect scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by mjr46 View Post
    any pics of how off/bad it looks with the charcoal moulding and a black hood stripe?
    Here is my intro post: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-North-Alabama

Its not the best view. The straight on view is the old faded one, the side view is with the new decal. It doesn't look bad, just not exact. I can check tonight to see if I have any better pics.

Found another thread I posted in on this same topic: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-GT-hood-decal
    Shows a better view of the decal. This was before any trim was repainted so the contrast is a bit greater.
    Last edited by swearint; 06-25-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    1985 GT owned since new

FEP User

Here is my intro post: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-North-Alabama

Its not the best view. The straight on view is the old faded one, the side view is with the new decal. It doesn't look bad, just not exact. I can check tonight to see if I have any better pics.

Found another thread I posted in on this same topic: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-GT-hood-decal
    Shows a better view of the decal. This was before any trim was repainted to the contrast is a bit greater.
    if you could get a better pic that'd help a ton making my decision

FEP User

So I ordered a color sample from graphic express and they say this is licenced to be for the car as they have had a lot of debate over the color..........Has anyone tried the Special grey/rare dark grey hood decal and if so how did it match? or am I to be the test subject?...lol

I used the standard charcoal grey decal from Graphics Express when I repainted my 86 vert several years ago. I noticed that it was quite a bit darker than the SEM spray paint. I don't have any pics available on line any longer (deleted when PB went off the deep end) and I sold the car a few years back....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    I used the standard charcoal grey decal from Graphics Express when I repainted my 86 vert several years ago. I noticed that it was quite a bit darker than the SEM spray paint. I don't have any pics available on line any longer (deleted when PB went off the deep end) and I sold the car a few years back....
    was the charcoal black more black or have gray in it? because my moulding is a dark grey which is what the sem 39153 produces....not much black tint at all if any.

if you could get a better pic that'd help a ton making my decision
    I looked in my file and don't have any better pics. I'd take a new one, but I'm working on the car at the moment. Garage lighting would skew the color. I'm looking forward to hearing how the samples look. If there is a better match, I'd switch it out. The hardest part is removing the sticker, putting it on is pretty easy.
    1985 GT owned since new

was the charcoal black more black or have gray in it? because my moulding is a dark grey which is what the sem 39153 produces....not much black tint at all if any.
    yes, that's my experience....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP User

I looked in my file and don't have any better pics. I'd take a new one, but I'm working on the car at the moment. Garage lighting would skew the color. I'm looking forward to hearing how the samples look. If there is a better match, I'd switch it out. The hardest part is removing the sticker, putting it on is pretty easy.
    easy to put it on? how did you put it on?

The sticker has a top and bottom backer. You peel the sticky side backer off and use soapy water on the hood to float the sticker into place and then squeegee it down. Once secure you remove the top 'backer' and you're done.
    1985 GT owned since new

FEP User

The sticker has a top and bottom backer. You peel the sticky side backer off and use soapy water on the hood to float the sticker into place and then squeegee it down. Once secure you remove the top 'backer' and you're done.
    what did you squeegee it with? and you didn't have any air bubbles trapped?

Squeegee was included. It worked fairly well. I think I had maybe three small bubbles that I missed. At that point it was set, so the instructions suggested piercing them with a needle. This allows the water to escape and the adhesive to contact. Small bubbles are hard to detect with the thick backer in place, so its worth spending a lot of time with the squeegee.
    1985 GT owned since new

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast