Close

Default Engine harness routing 85 Mustang GT

I had some engine work done years ago and have always had to address burnt wiring on the driver side engine harness. It doesn't seem long enough to keep away from the engine. Does anyone have a pic of the wire harness wiring. It would be from the Duraspark towards the engine.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChucksGT View Post
    I had some engine work done years ago and have always had to address burnt wiring on the driver side engine harness. It doesn't seem long enough to keep away from the engine. Does anyone have a pic of the wire harness wiring. It would be from the Duraspark towards the engine.
    at work at the moment,so i cannot post a picture.but,im in the process of replacing my engine wiring harness due to bare burnt wiring.i ordered the replacement harness from foxresto.com.its a little pricey but it is everything needed to replace from the duraspark to the main harness connection.i thought about trying to make a harness but decided against it.ill post pics later on

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    at work at the moment,so i cannot post a picture.but,im in the process of replacing my engine wiring harness due to bare burnt wiring.i ordered the replacement harness from foxresto.com.its a little pricey but it is everything needed to replace from the duraspark to the main harness connection.i thought about trying to make a harness but decided against it.ill post pics later on
    I really appreciate that. I know that takes time to do.

Are the wires burnt or is the insulation breaking down?
    I had to replace most of the harness on my 84 Capri because the insulation
    desintigrated.
    There are post here about engine bay fires due to wires shorting out.
    Did Ford cheap out on the wire used?
    Was it too small of a gauge, or the insulation not rated for the heat or oils?
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Yup, wires burnt and in sad shape. I put some tubing around it to guard but questioned the routing since I had upper end bolt on stuff put on years ago.
    Yeah I see you can buy a new harness for just under $400. Getting to that point.