Close

Thread: 79 Hood Scoop

Default 79 Hood Scoop

My local C. College has a new state of the art plasma cutter an will cut hole for the air cleaner.
    I am running a Edelbrock 14"X3" air cleaner. What size should they cut the whole.
    I'm thinking a 18" hole should be ok for engine torque. Once hole is cut, then a can shop for
    unique scoop.
    Thanks,
    ed

Last edited by ThunderStruck; 06-18-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: me

My .02 for what it's worth. I wouldn't cut any hole until you decide on the scoop. Otherwise you may limit your options if your hole is too large for some of the scoops. Beside not know how the scoop will attach, cutting the hole beforehand may cause you issues with installing the scoop on the hood.

Probably not what you want to hear, but truthfully most of your hood scoop provide little if any benefit in regards to "Ram Air" or "Cowl Induction" Sure it sounds cool to say you have it and show the big hole in the hood, but in most cases a dual snorkle air cleaner with the proper tubes in the fenders will provide the same if not more benefit than most aftermarket hood scoops. Obviously it's your Mustang and if you are set on running an open hood scoop, then that's fine too. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Trey,
    Thanks for your .02 worth.
    I will hold off on cutting hole in hood until I get a scoop.
    I am looking for something like the Mopar 440 6-pack or Hemi type scoop,
    large wide open front scoop. Car wont be daily driver, so weather won't be an issue.
    Also where are you in Texas, I still have family in Seabrook and Clear Lake City.
    I also still do motorcycle races at Texas Raceway.
    Thanks again for your input.
    Ed

Not sure how a Mopar scoop is going to look on the Mustang, but you never know it might turn out pretty cool.

Right now I am in Round Rock just north of Austin. I am wrapping up a remodel on my parents house and then heading home to Colorado.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Never know might see you on road, I also try to get to pikes peak rally (next weekend).
    Ed

More scoops than you can shack a stick at. If you wanted to shake a stick at stuff.

http://www.up22.com/scoopw2.htm

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Well,
    I think I have found my scoop LOL.
    On the bay
    @ eBay item number:232974663823
    ed

Default the scoop

Nice pick. Should look fine being a traditional cool boss like Ford shape, decent price.
    Retains good visibility at 3" tall with nice under hood clearance addition.
    Work well mainly covering up engine for protection, added ventilation when parked and driving.

Mopars and GM have sharp ones too but mixing brands usually detracts.

Have the stock 79 cutout hood with Cobra scoop on the car here.
    Stock front facing scoop is about 1.5-2" high inside max.
    There is a 1/4" high 'dam' or ridge stamped all the way around the cut out edge facing up toward and inside the scoop.

Would like a bit taller scoop too for a carb experiment. 1" more would do. Drop base a/c prob wont fit.
    Fab a shaped spacer, camper tape, or something to reset the scoop on using longer studs.

Hood's tapered rise width is 25" at front, 26" at cowl.
    Cobra front facing scoop is about 25" L overall, 22" L from insert, about 25" W front, 24.75 mid, 25.75" W at rear.
    Front outer scoop mount studs are spaced 23" apart.
    Hood cutout hole is about 24" x 24" at widest point (midscoop) and aftermarket scoop is 22". darn.

Engine torque no problem. Ran it without scoop. Minimal movement (2.3T).

May want to save the cutout metal from the hood.
    Hoods are not found easily. Metal can be reinstalled to close the cut if need be.
    Did that once on a VW. First DIY sunroof was large canvas. Worked great. Lots of air.
    Reinstalled cutout metal and recut for smaller crank sunroof. Quicker to open/close.
    Last edited by gr79; 06-27-2019 at 11:34 AM.

cut the hole using the carb stud for the center of the hole. The engine is not centered to the hood. Once the center is found cut the hole. Then find a scoop to fit. I used the 79-82 scoop but it is not mounted all the way to the back of the hood. I moved it forward a couple of inches. It clears my 14x3' air cleaner just fine.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

My local C. College has a state of the art plasma cutter, I will have them cut 16" elongated hole, I'm also running 14X3 air cleaner,

I really like seeing the air cleaner sticking up under the scoop. (no posers)LOL

ed
    Last edited by ThunderStruck; 06-28-2019 at 08:39 PM.