Close

Default Stock 82 Exhaust

My 82 still has the original exhaust, but there is a 3/4 inch OD pipe running from what I think is some kind of muffler that has a shield over it and is running to parts of the smog. Does anyone know if some still makes this or has a better one laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the air supply to the catalytic converter. The shielded muffler looking item is the catalytic converter.

Not sure what is available in regards to exact replacements. I am sure a muffler shop can make something work if needed, but if you are trying to stay original you will most likely need to find a good used unit or find some NOS parts for replacements.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I actually think I found part of what I was looking for. I’m going to take it off of mine and make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magna Flow makes a direct fit catalytic mid-pipe for these cars....I just ordered one for $161 off ebay. I've got my engine out now for new gaskets & seals and I discovered my muffler and cat were shot....so I'll be all new from the Y-pipe back to the tailpipe.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Jason, did you find exhaust that is similar in layout to the original? I brought my car home from storage & what was going to be a leaky rack repair has transformed to the engine out and on a stand. My 83 has the orignal Y pipe & cat, but everything back looks like it was forced to fit. I would like to replace all of it with something that looks like it belongs under there. Would also like to find a similar splitter for the tail pipe even if it was a little different I would like that better than a turn down behind the bumper.

I went on Walkers website & they don't even have a V8 listed in 1983. Any other sources?

New User

Hi. My 82 GT is missing the complete exhaust from the broken y pipe back. I want to restore my car to stock with subtle mods. I am willing to have a custom system made in a larger diameter but don't have the old exhaust as a pattern. I haven't had luck finding a stock system. Anyone know who makes one? I do not want duals. Thanks in advance. Malcolm

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

The 3.8 is a 1980-1983 4.2 liter replacement, with the same catalyst arrangement and the carb 5.0 follows it.

Aft of that, you can grab any other 100.4" Fox or 101.3" wheelbase Fox 4/ SN95 single exhaust. Avoiding the dual tail pipe avoids the paasenger side hanger and brake hose union upgrade common to V8's after 1985. V6's are generally single pipe. IMHO, an Essex Port EFi V6 exhaust is your best bet.

I had looked up a few of the V6 systems & saw the tail pipes & mufflers. I noticed they were 2" pipes, was that the only difference?
    are you saying the 3.8 mid pipe & muffler would fit the 5.0 exhaust as

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 9.08.21 PM.png
Views: 230
Size:  177.6 KBName:  Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 9.08.21 PM.png
Views: 230
Size:  177.6 KB
    Last edited by 1983-GT; 04-19-2020 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1983-GT View Post
    I had looked up a few of the V6 systems & saw the tail pipes & mufflers. I noticed they were 2" pipes, was that the only difference?
    are you saying the 3.8 mid pipe & muffler would fit the 5.0 exhaust as
    Yes, near as I can tell, the 3.8, 4.2 and 82 5.0 to at least the 84-1/2 5.0 singles are all the same 2 inch diameter, with a tail pipe variance only.

Page 27 of the Mustang 5.0 Performance Projects
    By Huw Evans.

It has many errors, but confirms that only in 1985 did the Y piece increase to the 2-1/4", confirmed here by photos on this forum in the past. The 2-1/4" H pipe exhaust was then used for HO 5.0's, CFi differed to 4V only in front cat delete detail.

to the exhaust, though for 1985, the diameter of the Y-pipe increased from 2 to 2 1/4 .

Quote Originally Posted by 1983-GT View Post
    Jason, did you find exhaust that is similar in layout to the original? I brought my car home from storage & what was going to be a leaky rack repair has transformed to the engine out and on a stand. My 83 has the orignal Y pipe & cat, but everything back looks like it was forced to fit. I would like to replace all of it with something that looks like it belongs under there. Would also like to find a similar splitter for the tail pipe even if it was a little different I would like that better than a turn down behind the bumper.

I went on Walkers website & they don't even have a V8 listed in 1983. Any other sources?
    Sorry for the late reply. I cancelled the order for my MagnaFlow catalytic because the ETA was now June (and seem to keep extending) due to Covid-19. My cat was in better shape than I originally thought, so I put it back on the car with the original air tube from the SMOG setup.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I have pretty much every part I need now for the emissions,
    that smog tube however is the one thing that's eluding me.

The smog tube is two piece. The piece you posted above is what you need to attach to the cat, then it has a slip joint with clamp that can be seen in your picture above of your cat. From there is a curved pipe, including that small valve/EGR looking piece and attaches via hose clamp to the SMOG system. It is an easy piece to remove/reinstall...assuming you can find the main section.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Is 1983 a one year only set up? I have some great pictures I "borrowed" from an 83 Vanguard had on youtube.
    From the little bit I could find, it looked like 82 had a different cat configuration. I''' post the picts tonight.

If that cat you pictured above is from your car, then it looks identical to what is on my '82 GT. As far as I know, 82-84 used the same exhaust configuration.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

No, Sorry..... That picture was from the original poster curtisboyte and his 1982.
    I kinda jumped in as the thread pertained to my searching for my 83 exhaust system.
    Here are the pictures I was going to post yesterday of what mine looks like. Not my car, images I borrowed from youtube & vanguard auto.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Ahhh...that is very different then. The tube you posted above from NPD looks to be specific then to the '82 GT, as mine looks identical. It connects in the middle, at the back of the cat. Yours connects on the driver side of the cat, so totally different. My smog tub also rides along the OUTSIDE of the manifold and collector, not inside like the picture above.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey