Close

Default Budget 7.5" to 8.8" 4 Lug Swap

All,

I have an 85 GT, all stock drivetrain, that hasn't been on the road in 30 years. My son will be driving in a couple years and it's time to get to work.

I know my rear end is bad. The last time I took it around the block, it whined and groaned pretty badly. I did swap out the fluid but that made no difference.

I'd like to keep the four lug setup as my son likes the 16" Enkei basket weave wheels. I've read a lot of posts on the swap topic and I'm a bit confused by all the information and different ways to get 'er done.

Is there a simple recipe using a combo of junkyard and new parts that will help me reach my goal? Of course, the rear brakes will be upgraded to disc.

Finally, when I say "budget" I mean reasonable - not expecting to accomplish all this on 200 - 300 bucks, but I can't drop two grand on this piece either as I have engine and other stuff to address.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

BG

I paid 100 for my 95 cobra rear. I was given the banjo to hardline adapter and mount but lmr sells for 25? I paid under 10 to extend the hardline from the stock passenger side to the middle drivers side where the adapter bracket is mounted. I kept the sn95 axles but i could have kept my stock fox axles. I'll get flamed for this but i haven't changed the mc. The back doesn't have as much bias but... I'm an old man that can drive lol you may want to change it for an inexperienced teen. I still have to order the p brake cables from lmr but they're around 48 a piece?
    1984 convertible 5.0 auto.

Just keep the brake lines and all the backing plate stuff from the 7.5 and swap it on to the 8.8. Then it is basically all 'stock' but with the 8.8 4 lug drums out back. Use a set of fox length axles.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Any 1986-1993 Mustang factory equipped with the 5.0 engine will have the 4-lug, drum brake 8.8 Traction-Lok rearend that is a direct swap in to the earlier Fox cars. You will need to use the brake hose that goes from the body to the rearend from the later car in order to keep clearance for dual exhaust. There are other options but this is the easiest / cheapest if you are staying with the drum brakes and 4-lugs.

Jonathan
    Last edited by slow84lx; 06-22-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Just my .02 in regards to 4 lug rear disc brakes. Nothing wrong with the "upgrade", but for the average street car I don't know that you really see that much of a difference in performance in most situations. The Fox Mustang/Capri generally has @ 70% or more front brake bias, unless you are going to make some suspension modifications to help balance the car and prevent the nose dive nature of the stock Fox, you probably wont' see much difference for the added costs and headaches IMHO.

Again I am not against 4 wheel disc setups, Virtually all of my Foxes have SN95 Cobra brake setups front and rear, but I also run lowering springs, and as many Maximum Motorsports parts & pieces as the budget will allow. So needless to say my cars don't drive and handle like a stock Fox does. If you are keeping the modifications to a minimum and not really upgrading or improving the suspension, then I personally think the Maximum Motorsport brake upgrade kit (87-93 V8 spindles required) is a great addition to an average Fox to improve the braking, but not bust the budget. This is the plan for my relatively stock 82 RS build up. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

If you want 4 lug and rear disc, the 4 lug brake upgrade thread on this forum is going to be a good place to start.

When going 8.8 and disc and 4 lug on a Mustang you are mainly after the 8.8 housing. Any from 86 to 98 will work and are the same. You need your 4 lug axles. You need a 4 lug disc brake kit like the one from North Racecars.

You need to solve the brake line stuff as mentioned here.

Rearend housing to body you will want to convert to the brake lines to the 86-98 setup so you could run dual exhaust if you want in the future

On the rearend there is another kicker here.... without doing some farting around with cutting and double flaring none of the factory lines ever made do exactly what you want to do. There is a line kit available that gets you exactly what you need.

I sourced the parts and Trey did this very swap on my 85 Saleen clone project.

What I will warn you is it costs more to keep it 4 lug than it does to buy 5 lug wheels. If I had it to do again on my Saleen build I would have spent the $1000 on a set of rare 5 lug mesh wheels and went 5 lug most likely. I highly doubt my Saleen build will stop anywhere close to as well as my 86GT that’s fully SN95 converted