I have an 84 LX convertible. I noticed the A pillar weatherstrip for 83-86 verts is about 4 inches shorter than the ones they put in 87-93. Since I have a leak getting in at the end of the A pillar weather strip even after replacing with a set I got from LMR I was thinking I'd try to modify my setup with a longer weatherstrip from an 87. For some reason they made them the same for 83-86, then 87 has its own part, then 88-93 they used another type.

The 87 type looks exactly like to 83-86 other then the 87 being longer. What I'm wondering is if the width is the same on the 87 and or 88-93 weatherstrip. I was thinking I could get a set of 83-86 weatherstrip brackets and cut off the lower ends of them and make mine longer. If the 87, or 88-93 width is the same, theoretically it should fit and function as I want it to.

I prefer to use 83-86 brackets so I wont have to disturb my existing ones and also I cant locate brackets for 87 or 88-93's.

Thoughts, suggestions?

mine, see the black smudge where the original was longer.
Name:  My Car A pilar weatherstrip full view.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  29.3 KB

screenshot taken from LMR's video showing how to install these. Notice this one runs the full length of the windshield.
Name:  LMR weatherstrip video.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  101.6 KB