Close

Default A pillar weatherstrip

I have an 84 LX convertible. I noticed the A pillar weatherstrip for 83-86 verts is about 4 inches shorter than the ones they put in 87-93. Since I have a leak getting in at the end of the A pillar weather strip even after replacing with a set I got from LMR I was thinking I'd try to modify my setup with a longer weatherstrip from an 87. For some reason they made them the same for 83-86, then 87 has its own part, then 88-93 they used another type.

The 87 type looks exactly like to 83-86 other then the 87 being longer. What I'm wondering is if the width is the same on the 87 and or 88-93 weatherstrip. I was thinking I could get a set of 83-86 weatherstrip brackets and cut off the lower ends of them and make mine longer. If the 87, or 88-93 width is the same, theoretically it should fit and function as I want it to.

I prefer to use 83-86 brackets so I wont have to disturb my existing ones and also I cant locate brackets for 87 or 88-93's.

Thoughts, suggestions?

mine, see the black smudge where the original was longer.
    Name:  My Car A pilar weatherstrip full view.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  29.3 KB

screenshot taken from LMR's video showing how to install these. Notice this one runs the full length of the windshield.
    Name:  LMR weatherstrip video.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  101.6 KB

Interesting read as I've an 84 lx vert that i definitely need to redo all the seals and weather stripping. I'll be following your progress.
    1984 convertible 5.0 auto.

So upon further inspection of mine it seems they made it shorter because the piece on the door just on the other side of the mirror actually seals to the pillar. You mentioned you replaced the pillar weather stripping but did you replace that piece as well? It looks like if you extend the pillar ws it would interfere with the other and would still leak. Name:  20190615_065937.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  56.9 KB
    1984 convertible 5.0 auto.

The 88-93 convertibles and the 1988 T-top Mustangs used a different mirror and the glass extends all the way to the leading edge of the door. Very different setup than the 83-87 models which uses the standard window frame mounted mirror and has the additional window frame at the leading edge of the door. That accounts for the HUGE difference in the weatherstripping.

1983-87 style convertible and 1981-87 T-top door

Name:  1986 vert door.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  108.4 KB

1988-93 convertible and 1988 T-top door

Name:  1988 convertible door.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  38.1 KB

I don't know where you purchased your weatherstripping from, but my experience with LMR is that their weatherstripping for T-tops is not the Daniel Carpenter versions. I am not sure if that is still true because I haven't purchased a kit from them lately. Anyway, in my experience the NON Daniel Carpenter weatherstripping doesn't fit for SH#T! I would assume the same is true for the convertible kits. The only weatherstripping I will buy from LMR is the standard door opening, hatch, trunk, and exterior dew wipes. Haven't had any real issues with those. I plan on buying ONLY the Daniel Carpenter T-top kit for my 82 RS, my 84 RS, my 82 GT, and my 81 BM.

This most likely is what you need. https://www.blueovalindustries.com/1...ng/ws5010.html

I am sure you don't want to buy the whole kit, but hopefully the list may help you determine which parts you may need. Notice this is listed as 83-84 model convertibles, NOT 83-86!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 06-15-2019 at 07:51 AM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by rich75043 View Post
    So upon further inspection of mine it seems they made it shorter because the piece on the door just on the other side of the mirror actually seals to the pillar. You mentioned you replaced the pillar weather stripping but did you replace that piece as well? It looks like if you extend the pillar ws it would interfere with the other and would still leak. Name:  20190615_065937.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  56.9 KB
    Thats run channel weather strip. It runs down into the door and keeps the glass steady when the window is open. Yes I did chnage them on mine and as far as i know all foxbody convertibles have that part.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The 88-93 convertibles and the 1988 T-top Mustangs used a different mirror and the glass extends all the way to the leading edge of the door. Very different setup than the 83-87 models which uses the standard window frame mounted mirror and has the additional window frame at the leading edge of the door. That accounts for the HUGE difference in the weatherstripping.

1983-87 style convertible and 1981-87 T-top door

Name:  1986 vert door.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  108.4 KB

1988-93 convertible and 1988 T-top door

Name:  1988 convertible door.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  38.1 KB

I don't know where you purchased your weatherstripping from, but my experience with LMR is that their weatherstripping for T-tops is not the Daniel Carpenter versions. I am not sure if that is still true because I haven't purchased a kit from them lately. Anyway, in my experience the NON Daniel Carpenter weatherstripping doesn't fit for SH#T! I would assume the same is true for the convertible kits. The only weatherstripping I will buy from LMR is the standard door opening, hatch, trunk, and exterior dew wipes. Haven't had any real issues with those. I plan on buying ONLY the Daniel Carpenter T-top kit for my 82 RS, my 84 RS, my 82 GT, and my 81 BM.

This most likely is what you need. https://www.blueovalindustries.com/1...ng/ws5010.html

I am sure you don't want to buy the whole kit, but hopefully the list may help you determine which parts you may need. Notice this is listed as 83-84 model convertibles, NOT 83-86!
    I dont need the whole kit. I bought the complete convertible kit from LMR about 4 summers ago. Anything that didnt come in the kit I replaced separately. The only thing I'm having issue with is the A pillar weather strip. Everytime it rains I get water running down the inside along the doors just under the side view mirror triangle shaped handle housing.

I can see why the 88-93 is different but the 87 still had its own part not used again on any other year and I feel using that part may help my issue.