Close

Thread: S197 side mirro

Default S197 side mirro

I trimmed up an S197 side mirror to see how it would look. Personally I hate the stock side mirrors in how they look and function. I trimmed a whole bunch of the plastic around the base and cut off the mounting plate. It will be fairly easy to finish off a backing plate. Let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think it looks really good. Nice job!

Beautiful pace car too.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    I think it looks really good. Nice job!

Beautiful pace car too.
    Thanks. I'm pretty happy with how it goes with the car. I'm having a blast with this Pace Car. Lots more to do but I forgot how fun these cars were to play with.

Interesting! I had to modify the crap out of some '87-93 Mustang side mirrors to fit on my Zeph. That looks better than I thought it would! Not bad at all! Heated?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Is it remote controlled? Did you do this just for the passenger side?

There is an available factory inside trim cover that does not have a manual control knob in it.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Interesting! I had to modify the crap out of some '87-93 Mustang side mirrors to fit on my Zeph. That looks better than I thought it would! Not bad at all! Heated?
    It's a non heated mirror. I had to do quite a bit of trimming but non of it was difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post

There is an available factory inside trim cover that does not have a manual control knob in it.
    I didnt want to get into the wiring involved in order to make it work remotely as this was more of a mock up. But I like the install so much that I may try to do something. The mirrors only cost me 7.95 each on an Ebay auction.

I have the drivers side that I'm cutting up now.

Nice job!!! It looks great

Here is what was trimmed. You have to remove the stock mounting plate. By pulling that out as far as you can I used a pull saw to cut it off. The part left recesses in enough that I can mount a plate to that and secure it so I can use new mounting screws to mount the mirror.

Made the backing plate with tabs on the bottom secured with a couple #6 screws on the bottom and a pair of screws into the middle of the mirror support. Only about a half inch of the mirror back is visible so I'll fill the edge with some job weld and then paint it black. Should look like it belongs there.

The last picture is just a bit I have trimmed to get it to slide forward about a half inch. The mirror sits on the small curve of the front of the window nicely.

I had asked a few people to take a look at the mirror and all of them had said if I didnt tell them they would not have known it didnt come with that mirror. Just what I had hoped. I'll be interested to see what a foxbody person will think about it. And everything can go back to stock with out any evidence it was changed.

Made the backing plate with tabs on the bottom secured with a couple #6 screws on the bottom and a pair of screws into the middle of the mirror support. Only about a half inch of the mirror back is visible so I'll fill the edge with some job weld and then paint it black. Should look like it belongs there.

The last picture is just a bit I have trimmed to get it to slide forward about a half inch. The mirror sits on the small curve of the front of the window nicely.

I had asked a few people to take a look at the mirror and all of them had said if I didnt tell them they would not have known it didnt come with that mirror. Just what I had hoped. I'll be interested to see what a foxbody person will think about it. And everything can go back to stock with out any evidence it was changed.

Do you know what year that was available? I assume it was to a power mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by brian.aughe View Post
    Do you know what year that was available? I assume it was to a power mirror?

The S197 Mirrors are 2005-2009 and 2010-2014. I am not 100% sure, but I don't believe Ford even offered a manual mirror for the S197.

Looks pretty cool! I have been considering several options for improving the mirrors on my Foxes, but hadn't considered try the S197 mirrors. Might have to look into that myself. Good Job!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The cover I was talking about was 1979-93. I do not know the part number for each side.

EDIT: They're being reproduced now...

https://www.npdlink.com/1979-1993-mu...or-hole-covers
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 06-14-2019 at 06:56 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

The cover I was talking about was 1979-93. I do not know the part number for each side.

EDIT: They're being reproduced now...

https://www.npdlink.com/1979-1993-mu...or-hole-covers
    Awesome.. thank you.

A portion of where the old mirror was is visible so I used some rubber sheet gasket material to cover the spot. Should make a cleaner look. Wasnt bad but I want it to look complete.

Finished product.. now to do the other side.

Those look great on your Pace! I like those wheels as well.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    Those look great on your Pace! I like those wheels as well.
    Very happy with the result

Show a pic from behind the car, I want to see those lovers better. There is a set locally for sale and I am thinking about getting them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 84-tTop View Post
    Show a pic from behind the car, I want to see those louvers better. There is a set locally for sale and I am thinking about getting them

Louvers not lovers. That’s a different website