Close

Default Mustang vs. Camaro 2019

Okay, so I've said in the past, if Ford would just go ahead and begin to offer some of the systems Chevy does in their track focused SS, in the GT performance pack, they will actually have a chance against the Camaro. Stuff like magnetic suspension system and stuff like that. That brings us to today. The Mustang GT Performance Pack is FINALLY about as evenly matched to the Camaro SS 1LE as you can get, even having a horsepower advantage (when was the last time you could say that about a Mustang GT? 1987?!) ! This could be an exciting match-up! So, where are the usual car magazines? Well, they don't care to do stories about Mustangs and Camaros unless one or the other has just gone through a major refresh. Last time you saw that was 2016 with the all new Camaro. Past that, they'd rather talk about how much they love Veedubs, BMWs and Hondas. You know, thrilling stuff.

But I did find this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifaWMxS1O10&t=164s

In the end, it reminds me a lot of the comparisons we saw in the 1990s. The Camaro is (slightly) more capable, but the Mustang is more fun and livable. At least the Camaro isn't WAY more capable, like it was in the '90s. Plus, Camaro sales are nosediving lately, while Mustang sales are up. Oh, and the car magazines' beloved BMWs? BOTH THE GT AND SS BEAT THE M2 COMPETITION'S TIME! IN YOUR F***ING FACE MOTOR TREND!!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

At the auto show this year, I sat in the new Camaro and Mustangs. Mustang, hands down more easy to get in/out of, better seating position, better visability, just overall better fit and feel for driving.

After that, I would never own one of the new Camaros.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I think the rivalry is fun but I don't really car how street car behave on a track so much as I care how they behave on the street.

That's why my DD is now a Challenger. Love that car.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI View Post
    I think the rivalry is fun but I don't really car how street car behave on a track so much as I care how they behave on the street.

That's why my DD is now a Challenger. Love that car.
    When my brand new truck was totaled we got a challenger rental. Man that car was nice, not to mention all the room inside and trunk space. Bonus...i could actually see out of the windows and mirrors lol
    1984 convertible 5.0 auto.

Quote Originally Posted by rich75043 View Post
    When my brand new truck was totaled we got a challenger rental. Man that car was nice, not to mention all the room inside and trunk space. Bonus...i could actually see out of the windows and mirrors lol
    No wonder, the Challenger was designed like FIFTEEN years ago before they started ignoring stuff like blind spots and outward visibility. But hey, at least it's aging better than the 5th gen Camaro. Anyone seen one of those lately in today's traffic? It looks like a kleenex box.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The new Camaro's have the outward visibility of a coffin. Stevie Wonder simulator.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

Well, I guess I underestimated Car & Driver's good taste. Got the new issue today, and there was Mustang vs. Camaro on the cover. I'm surprised. Although, there IS a long term wrapup about the Accord that I'm sure is all gushing. Gotta be who they are, after all.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Camaro rumored to go away again....... https://www.torquenews.com/106/chevr...ued-after-2023

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Camaro more STNG Jordy visor windows than S. W.
    Camaro greenhouse too squashed for body, Vette too odd, Mustang too busy looking.
    All, for some reason, mimic sound on the raspy side like superbikes or high rev formula cars.
    Challenger is the only new car i like to see dif versions of. Older design, ages well, blends in with crowd.
    Look around and used muscle cars are not what most young have to bop around in.
    A new vehicle for everyday practical cheap driving has gone away.
    They drive old four door FWD and never developed interest or need of expensive performance.
    The 'youth' cars have followed the baby boom gen rising income and sophistication.
    Ignoring young buyers that make the brand.
    They don't want 500 hp, just want to enjoy a sporty looking or easy to drive cheap car like we did. Sad.

The LX Chryslers have the best rear legroom out there.
    My 81 LTD I think had less room than our 08 Magnum.
    And it rides as smooth as my 88 LSC did.
    The only fault was chasing down a squeak that sounded like
    dry tray bushings,turned out to be rubber swaybar bushings.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dog View Post
    The LX Chryslers have the best rear legroom out there.
    My 81 LTD I think had less room than our 08 Magnum.
    And it rides as smooth as my 88 LSC did.
    The only fault was chasing down a squeak that sounded like
    dry tray bushings,turned out to be rubber swaybar bushings.
    That's not suprising that a newer car is better than older cars. Have you looked in a '70s Lincoln? Those are GIGANTIC on the outside, but I'd bet a recent Focus easily beats its interior room. If what you want is rear seat room, look at a Five Hundred. Those are massive in the back.

Too bad about Chevy looking to cancel the Camaro again. But as long as they have the Corvette too, the Camaro's not safe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

orignally posted by ZephyrEFI

If what you want is rear seat room, look at a Five Hundred. Those are massive in the back.
    Is that why Ford used the Five Hundred/Taurus to create the Intercepter?
    More room for stuffin after cuffin?
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Apparently

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST