Close

Default 86GT New Brake line routing down Drivers side

While installing the new frame rails I removed the rear brake line and am looking for a good factory Fox design rational / logical backed by Fox engineers testimonial as to why did they run the rear brake line across the firewall and them down the Passenger side driveshaft tunnel area?? Seriously, could I simple run new Rear brake line down the drivers side frame rail location and connect to the factory location? A much cleaner easier straight shot. I am welding in the full frame rails from American Tool.

Please advise
    Thank you

Prob to minimize chance of damage and corrosion. Tunnel is a sheltered area.
    Jacks, abrasion, road debris kicked up by tires, water, mud, stones, slush.

They were probably trying to avoid exhaust at the time. Remember routing changed several times. Even 85 vs 86 is different.

First you have to remember that the early cars all had the brake line in the rear on the passenger side. Ford even ran the rear brake line thru the passenger compartment on the 79 cars and then later moved it out of the interior and along the tunnel.

As stated the tunnel does provide some added protection from jacks, debris, etc so that's not a bad thing. I would also bet that part of the reason the brake line stayed on the passenger side for so long was Ford was already tooled up for the line going from the Proportioning Valve to the connection near the passenger hood hinge. No need to make a whole new line just to run it down the driver side. Besides remember this same brake line section may fit many different Fox models which again saves Ford $$$.

If you want to run the line down the driver side, I don't see any issues with it. The only advice would be to consider using the spring wire wrap on any areas that might be exposed to danger or possible damage to help protect it. I will probably be doing a similar modification to my 82 GT once I get back to work on it.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller