Close

Default Caster camber plates?

Is there a big difference in them? I see ones on Amazon for 65dollars and some for 250? They look the same and supposedly the same materials? I try to avoid junk but have bought decent cheap stuff.

FEP Supporter

This is one area not to skimp. A strut coming up through your hood would suck. lol

Many have had great service life from Maximum Motorsports and Steeda cc plates. I have MM cc plates and recommend spending the few extra bucks and know you bought one of the best parts (or maybe the best parts) available...
    '85 GT

Too much flex in the plates will cause strut tower failure over time.

Broken strut tower is a BAD ride — take my word for it!

Get MM and use a sensible camber and toe setting. Use a lower K brace and a strut tower brace. Difference is night and day

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

I would bet a big difference in the "cheap" vs "expensive" C/C plates is the quality of the spherical bearings used. Cheap spherical bearings will wear out prematurely, allowing slop you don't want and generating noise over every bump. Been there, done that with inferior parts on one of my Subarus (which also has a MacP strut front suspension).

Top quality spherical bearings are expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 bearings account for 50% of the cost of the MM C/C plates.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Thanks guys! I recently bought a drag car that I'm going to put into street duty that's fun to drive. It was a 4cyl car and I'm pretty sure it's all 4cyl suspension with 90/10 struts. I'm going back with a eibach sportline kit that has everything but caster camber plates. I didn't mess with these things for 20 years and now have 3 of them in various stages of restoration...

FEP Member

I am looking at redoing my front suspension, and had wondered the same thing about all the different C/C plates. Glad some one was brave enough to ask the question!

Buy MM and don't look back. The cost isn't that much and the quality is second to none.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

FEP Member

I'm collecting parts for a winter upgrade. I figure they will go on sale sometime this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Two86fiveoh's View Post
    Buy MM and don't look back. The cost isn't that much and the quality is second to none.
    Absolutely!!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold