Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Adding 6R80 Transmission + Paddle Shifters?

After Good Guys last weekend, my knees (especially my left) were aching bad. Bad enough that I doubt I could drive my 5-speed well if I had to. It had me thinking of switching to an automatic if I change my engine to a 408W next year. I talked with someone at Good Guys that added a 6R80 behind a twin turbo Lightning block, which seemed like a good fit. I'm not a drag racer, but after doing some research online, it appears the 6R80 is a decent transmission for autocross also with a little work. Best of all, I could add paddle shifters potentially for something different. It looks like there isn't much info on FEP for the 6R80 swap. I see a few threads mentioning the transmission, but I don't see anyone that has the swap completed and could offer feedback, words of advice, etc.

Anything new that I don't see via search?
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

6r80 is an excellent trans and there are now trans controllers for it in the aftermarket. Paddle shifts are too slow on the 6r80 cars with them. The button on the gear selector in the 13 and 14 cars is much faster. It's the trans I have in my 14 GT so, I speak from experience.

A shop called Power By The Hour has done a ton of work with the 6R80 for the coyote swap world so they may have some options or answers for controller needs. Might want to send them an email and see what they say.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian.aughe View Post
    A shop called Power By The Hour has done a ton of work with the 6R80 for the coyote swap world so they may have some options or answers for controller needs. Might want to send them an email and see what they say.
    PBH has a shifter that supposedly works well (Lokar brand), but nothing more. I found a set of adaptors to mate the trans and block, and US Shift makes a controller for the 6-speed. It all seems out there to find, which is good. The only thing I haven't seen is a bolt-in trans mount for a Fox. Someone said Stifflers has a weld-in, but not bolt-in.