Close

Thread: 3G upgrade

Default 3G upgrade

I am doing a 3G upgrade on my 85 RS. Is the old 3 wire harness still needed?

I had trouble finding detailed info on 1g to 3g conversion. There was also some question as to whether or not your gauge would work correctly. So I just took this route, which is simple and keeps a stock(ish) look under the hood.
    Name:  Screenshot_20190610-002704_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  39.8 KB

If you're refering to the stock alternator harness, no, that goes away with your 1G alternator along with your voltage regulator.

If you want to keep your amp gauge functional, you'll need to pick up the PA Perf harness: https://lmr.com/item/PA-462802C1/Mus...G-Plug-Upgrade

You'll also need a fused larger gauge charge cable. Something like this or make your own: https://lmr.com/item/PA-9905/99-04-M...mp-Alternators

There is also a kit available with an alternator if you don't already have one.

I don't have any amp gauge so didn't personally use any of the above stuff. Bought pigtails, fuse and battery cable did it all myself. Not terribly hard.

Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Yes I have everything to install the Alt. Not planing on using the gauge for now. Thanks all for the help.

One other thing, where do most of you hook your electric choke to?

Wire your electric choke to the white/black stripe wire on your voltage regulator plug. You can kind of make out my splice in my pic above (actual splice done at stator wire connector), the white wire that goes into the wire loom runs to my choke.

Thomas

347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Thanks

Getting everything prewired and I was wondering where to attach the wire from the "I" terminal. On my alt it is green and red.

84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.

Connected mine to the existing green/red wire that went to the original (1G) external voltage regulator.
    Thomas